Stove temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb51b

Feeling the Heat
Dec 24, 2007
Birmingham AL
I have an old US stove Wonderwood stove. The stove temps seem to like to run a but lower than I've seen you guys talk about. Is there any trouble running my stove at 380-450 surface temp? I've seen that most like a bit higher but was wondering if I should make a big modification to something that seems to be working very well so far. Its currently 34 outside with a 15 MPH wind and I'm sitting at 78 in the basement and 68 upstairs-- and rising. Should I make a change??? Thanks again for all you guys help recently with this stove..

Jason

Is the thermometer directly on the stove fire box? Not every stove runs at the same temp. Also not all stovetop thermometers are accurate and the top temp can vary from location to location depending on the smoke path.

If your flue looks clean and there is little or no smoke coming from the stack, then you are likely burning well.

Its a HF infared thermo. I usually get a TON of variance (100*) accross the top of the stove. The stack burns clean, white smoke when its cold and maybe a little grey when I'm getting started (not too good at this thing yet). I have only had it running a couple weeks so I have not cleaned it yet. I will be cleaning it when I add another 2 ft section to the top (had to wait on it to get here), this should be within a week. I'll report back on what I find. I have a fairly long verticle run on my stack, its currently 20 ft and will be 22ft soon. At first I was getting some black buildup on the feed door but that was with VERY inferior wood and ealy on the learning curve. This should clear up Yes/No?

Jason

Probably. Understand that this is not a modern stove design. It will not have the higher temps created by secondary burning. As to the soot on the feed door, keep an eye on it. It could be the inferior wood. If it doesn't burn off, inspect the door gasket closely and test it for tightness. Look for the soot trail to point to a possible leak point.

The variance is normal. My little Jotul consistently is 100 degrees hotter on one side than the other. And it swaps sides. On the big stove it varies in any two inch separation of the point being read. That is the reason I chuckle sometimes when people give the temps on their inserts. The sides of the stove body on my big stove are most often a hundred to a hundred and fifty degrees hotter than the front of the stove.

Thanks guys! Great to know I'm headed in the right direction.

Begreen: I replaced to feed door gasket (rope) last weekend and will be replacing the ash door gasket next weekend. I will definately keep an eye on it. Should I clean the black off now and watch out for it to re-appear or let it be and see if it goes away?

The wood I WAS burning was unseasoned oak. I cut 3 dead standing oaks today that were at the point of free falling. I have been burning that tonight with a little (6 month) seasoned sycamore mixed in. I seem to get a very light ash load from this stove, this is good I guess but I was just expecting more.

Jason

It won't hurt to clean it off for quicker diagnosis if you are burning seasoned wood only.

I'll clean it off-- Just as soon as I can touch it! :) What should I use to clean it? Wire brush ok?

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.