Stove that is under 24"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgbills

Feb 3, 2011
IN
At first I was thinking of an insert for my fireplace, but now I am thinking stove because I don't want to run a fan and think stoves are better all around for heating. We have 1250 sqf, 1000 that is bedrooms and living room, and the living room has the current fireplace and the bedrooms are right off of it. If we do a stove, my wife wants it to sit in the current fireplace for looks and not sit out on the hearth. So that means finding a stove under 24" high and 36" wide. I see that a Buck may fit the under 24" hight requirement. Can anyone think of another that is under 24" and can heat between 1000 to 1250 sqf? Maybe one that is cheaper than Buck?

Enviro's inserts are well below that height. Though the second number you need to look at is the depth. And the third is the width at the back of the firebox.

Enviro's inserts are well below that height. Though the second number you need to look at is the depth. And the third is the width at the back of the firebox.

I think he's trying to avoid an insert. cgbills, is the fan your only objection to an insert?

24" is the gating factor here. Even the Keystone's flue won't get under that low bridge.

Depth is 21. The fan is the main reason why I am thinking stove. If I could not find a stove to at least partially fit in that space, I will do an insert.

What about a Buck Model 80. It is over-sized for your needs, but it can be used as a free standing stove or as an insert. Without the feet it will come in under 24 inches.

Depth is 21. The fan is the main reason why I am thinking stove. If I could not find a stove to at least partially fit in that space, I will do an insert.

Gotcha. Is it fan noise you're looking to avoid, or dependence on a fan in a power outage? We have seen other members use this Buck model in situations like this, I think the buck stove is basically an insert without a surround. The other piece of this that you may want to consider is whatever unit you put in that fireplace you will probably want it to have a fan. I may be wrong, but I think a lot of heat will be absorbed by the masonry and a jacket with a blower is a very efficient way to move that heat.

I had a Napoleon 1101 insert that had a super quiet fan. That unit would heat your space well. Unlike most inserts, this unit's fan is in the back. A lot of people don't like this because it's more steps to service the fan. I loved it in the back, because you could barely hear the fan at all.

We need to know more about the setup and motivation behind the no fan idea. Some pictures would help. I thinking maybe just use an insert without the surround? If that's ok a Drolet, Century or Englander would do the job. Add a block-off plate at the lintel level to prevent a heat trap up in the smoke chamber.

Look at Northern tool at some of thier stoves. Im busynow so i cant look myself. But yeat that height is a killer.

I am doing the exact thing. See my "farm house threads" I will stand a small free stander in the fireplace run a liner to it and make a Roxul block off plate. My measurements are almost opposite of yours. Im only 27" wide and im 33" high.

Male sure your mantle is high enough for clearance to combustibles and that your hearth goes out 18" in front of the stove. It's easier to take note and make adjustments now than have to fix something when the inspector notices it.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.