Stove thermometer location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stihl044

Dec 14, 2007
north dakota
I have a Quadrafire 2100, where should I put a magnetic thermomter. I have never used one and I am new to burning wood, but as I have, read it will help in using my stove efficiently. Also, what is a good brand to purchase.

stihl044 said:
I have a Quadrafire 2100, where should I put a magnetic thermomter. I have never used one and I am new to burning wood, but as I have, read it will help in using my stove efficiently. Also, what is a good brand to purchase.

I cannot speak to your particular model of stove . . . you may want to check your manual. Some manufacturers suggest placing the thermometer on the stove top (oftentimes in the corners), other manufacturers would have the thermometer placed on the front.

You can also place a thermometer on your flue . . . about 18 inches up from the stove if the flue is single wall pipe. Double wall flue pipe requires a probe-type thermometer to get "accurate" readings.

The readings on these thermometers is often suspect. Some folks report good readings based on confirmations with other thermometers, checking with IR thermometers or by baking them in an oven at a set temp, while others say the thermometers are off. Most folks recommend using the thermometer as a guide as to what is happening (i.e. stove is running cool, chimney is running hot) rather than taking the temp reading as a hard and fast number.

As to brands . . . Rutland, Condar . . . a few names that have been bandied about.

Hey stihl044 we have a QF4300 other QF owners here advised me to place ours center on the stove top over the door.

The manual doesn't appear to have much info on thermometers and temperature. I'd start out trying a placement on the back third of the stovetop, within about 6" of the flue pipe. See how that works out.

Most thermometers are made in China these days. I prefer a simple one, preferably without scales indicating "safe" and "overfire" on them. A few weeks ago I found a simple black Drolet thermometer in our local True Value store. It's made in China, but checked out reasonably close to my IR thermometer readings.

I did not see anything in owners manual, but thanks for the advice on your locations. 2100 is pretty small, I will try a few different locations on the stovetop.

im going to pick one up for my jotul 602... would the stove top be the best location to put it on this small stove?

Stove top is good or if there's single wall pipe, you can put it about 18" above the stove on the pipe. Or try both locations and learn more about how the stove burns.

Nothing in my owners manual either.. It's funny the manual says refer to the burn rate table to avoid over firing the insert or some such nonsense but the table does not exist!! I have no idea what the temp range is for my insert.. I have measured 500 to 700 directly off the flue collar and 200 to 400 free air approx 6 inches above the top of the insert. I have a call into the dealer on this but nothing so far.. Would be nice to know.. Seems the manufacturers don't put much effort into documenting it. I wonder why??

BeGreen said:
Stove top is good or if there's single wall pipe, you can put it about 18" above the stove on the pipe. Or try both locations and learn more about how the stove burns.

picked up the thermometer today... want to put it on my stove top, but the cookplate covers almost the whole top (of which i have a pot of water on when in use). there is enough room to fit it between the cookplate and the pipe, but it would be right near the pipe. It would fit on either back corner of stove top, as well, but again it would be near the pipe. Does that matter, or will those places work? If the cook plate didn't take up so much room, i'd put it smack dab in the center!! :grrr:

I also just picked up a thermometer, Rutland, I have it just in front of the stove pipe on the top of the stove. Is this correct?? or should it be somewhere else on the stove top.

Status
Not open for further replies.