Stove thermometer placement on a kodiak 1700 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatrackr

Sep 21, 2014
SE wisconsin
Can any kodiak owners tell me where they place their stove thermometer? I have mine on the face above the door and it seems to be reading low can't seem to get the stove to temp and I don't want to over fire if I have it in the wrong spot. I'm using a red devil thermometer
Thanks

What kind of readings do you get if you place it on the stove top?

I never tried it there it doesn't look like the top of the stove is the actual top I think there is a plate on top then an air gap then the top of the fire box if that makes sense

On the face of the insert the airwash is cooling the front. Figure that the stove top is around 150 higher than the face of the insert. Tested it out on my old insert and some others have too.

Yes it does. Hard to tell from pictures.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413861802.624551.jpg
Here is where I have it, the air blows across the whole top of the stove with the fan on so not sure where I can get an accurate reading my wood isn't quit where I want it to be- around 25%- so I want to make sure I'm running it hot enough, hopefully it gets closer to 20% in the next couple months before I start burning on a regular basis

That thermo placement looks like it could be catching air from the jacket, and it might be reading low. I have that size Meeco lying around; The thing crapped out on me and I just haven't tossed it yet. Anyway, that dial is about 3.5". With a smaller 2.5" dial, maybe the blower air will go over the top of the thermo and not cool it. I have a smaller Condar on the Buck, about where yours is but on the hinge side, and I think it is about where the actual stove top intersects the front of the stove. Readings are generally in the 350-500 range.

I put mine right on the top, back and center. Where you have it the blower is pushing air right across it. Not a lot of choices on an insert.

On mine, the (half) kettle is in the middle, and the thermometer is just to the right of the center on the top. Remember, it's as much about the relative change in reading as absolute temperature...

Status
Not open for further replies.