stove thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildCard

Mar 26, 2014
Lewiston, me
Hello everyone,

I made my own external thermometer. It's a replacement Char Boil grill thermometer from Lowes. It comes with a wingnut. I just put it on upside down, used JB weld to attach a 1/4 fender washer, picked up a magnet in the same isle with a hole in it. Stuck it in a vent and now I have a good idea the air temp the stove is putting out.

Attachments

• IMG_20140324_180515_887.jpg
    IMG_20140324_180515_887.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20140323_105138_157.jpg
    IMG_20140323_105138_157.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: Arti
Very clever. Got me thinking, I have one thats a foot long so placed it sideways across the air vents at the front. 175 degrees, stove set to half way and fan on high speed. Will modify this idea of yours to make up a permanent air temp indicator, thanks.

I use a digital meat thermometer attached to a remote display by a wire. I put the meat sensor into the center heat tube. Works great to set the air/pellet mix to get the best efficiency(heat) out of the stove. This thing has been switched on all season 24/7 with the same battery. I can't believe it. The thermo tops out at 392, but I only get that hot at start time.

Magnet huh. Might be mod time for my setup. Thanks.

Very clever. Got me thinking, I have one thats a foot long so placed it sideways across the air vents at the front. 175 degrees, stove set to half way and fan on high speed. Will modify this idea of yours to make up a permanent air temp indicator, thanks.

do you homebrew ? that's why i have one that long . however these thermos are made to read temp from the tip , not the entire length .

Homebrew yes, however the tip must be in the airflow. It's mounted temporarily across the front, the readout is viewed from the side. Good idea and will make up a permanent temp indicator this summer. Also I have an instrument with two sensors, air in and air out, designed for large furnace. Did notice an increase in output air temp after cleaning. This could be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.