Stove Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
I've got a Quad IR, and was wondering what's a GOOD solid thermometer to use and placement. I've seen a lot of different place people say to put it. What's consensus on this?

I don't think there is a consensus. I put mine in the middle of the griddle and to the left of center on the griddle. I picked that spot for two reasons. I'm pretty sure Jags recommended it 5-6 years ago. But also, after playing around with my infra-red thermometer, I discovered that there is lots of variation in temps
on the stovetop. Where I put it is one of the hottest spots on the stovetop. When it's 700 there, I know that it isn't 800 somewhere else on the stovetop.

I've been using a Rutand. Not sure if it's the best, but it seems to be consistently similar to my infra-red thermometer.

Last edited:
The hottest spot on my BK is always (obviously?) over the cat.

The top temps on my non-cat PE vary all over the place, all the time. Like a couple hundred degrees within a couple of inches. There is no one spot that is consistently hotter than the rest. I think it mostly depends on positioning of the splits, and flame path up to the baffle. Renters dropped something on, or otherwise somehow jacked up, my magnetic thermo, and I don't intend on replacing it. I find an IR to be most useful, and I'll pick up another at Harbor Freight before winter.

I had a Dutch West before that was a side load with a single wall door. That's obviously the place to put it. But the Quad, I don't know where to put it. I had it on the flue collar pipe, the the middle of griddle, then the left side, center, and right.

And I've got some cheap magnetic jobber that tells me I'm constantly in over fire. Which I know to not pay attention to.

Not sure about placement with your stove ... but as for type I'm partial to Condors.

Reactions: Kool_hand_Looke
I got a condar Inferno on the griddle just a lil left of center and a condar flue guard in the pipe. I know that my Inferno reads high but its consistent so after awhile of using an IR gun I know where the needle should usually be, if that makes any since. I like being able to glance at it as I pass thru the room

Status
Not open for further replies.