1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stove thermometers - which type?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Joe Scotland, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Joe Scotland

Joe Scotland New Member

Hi,

Found this site whilst googling to answer my question, so thought I may as well just ask!

I have just got a 5kw Woodwarm stove (not sure if you get those outside the UK?)

The suppliers gave me a Stovax thermometer which, after a week of being mounted on the top front of the stove body, I realised was a stovepipe thermometer not a stovetop one. I realise now that they are calibrated differently.

The stove manual recommends mounting a thermometer on the stove body, so I guess I need to get a different one. I also only have slightly less than 1 foot of single wall stovepipe exposed, and it is angled back and to the right, so it is impossible to mount the pipe thermometer truly level, which I find visually annoying!

I presume something like the Condar stovetop thermometer would be ok? This would comply with the manufacturers recommendation, and be more aesthetically pleasing.

Any thoughts?

(It's 4.45am here and I'm just in from work so I'm off to bed and will check back tomorrow).

Thanks

Joe

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I've been very happy with the Condar's I have owned, they even make one in in Celsius if you prefer.

[​IMG]

pen
  3. TheBaron

TheBaron New Member

Loc:
    Eastern ON, Canada
    I wish I hadn't seen this post! He he... I just installed my condar 'inferno' stovetop thermometer which works really well and is quite accurate (tested in my stove). I'm in Canada and would have ordered the celcius if I knew it existed :)

pen likes this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I also can recommend the condar. We've tried others but they were never any where near accurate.

The stove top or the flue thermometer should be the same except if they have marks for burning range. When we had those types, I paid not attention to their recommendations. I know where we want the flue temperature and also the stove top temperature and that is what we go by.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Condar
  6. Joe Scotland

Joe Scotland New Member

Ok, thank you. That's fairly unanimous praise for the Condar ones.
  7. pen

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    It's more than praise, it's the materials.

My last rutland is at work so I can't take a picture (the others in the garbage), but the real reason I feel that the condars are superior to many on the market is the size of their bimetallic strip; which is so much more, well, sizeable than the competition.

I know pics speak, but I can't do it right now. But essentially, the competition's bimetallic strip is smaller than a US dime, where the Condar's is well better than a US quarter.

In this venue, as many, size matters.

pen
  8. 3fordasho

3fordasho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Central Minnesota
    I've got 3 or 4 of the woodstock supplied stove top thermometer and they seem to be pretty consistant from one to another. I've placed a rutland brand thermometer next to a woodstock and the rutland read amost 150F different. I don't know for sure but It's possible the woodstock version is made by Condor they look similar.
  9. pen

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    They are made by condar