stove thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Condor is a big name in wood stove thermometers. If you have double wall stove pipe you need a probe type thermometer...which needs to be drilled into the pipe so the probe can measure flue gas temp...cost about $22-25. If you have single thick 24ga stove pipe a regular magnetic stove thermometer will do ...cost maybe $5 less. Follow instructions on the package for placement distances. A stove thermometer is a very important piece of stove gear.

I only ran one on my stove top last year (Rutland) but plan to purchase another for my single wall stove pipe for this season as well.

Never thought of using one before, but couldn't imagine burning without one now!

Mostly a stove thermometer is an indication of up or down, i.e., stove box temperature... But then as a secondary function...It allows you to be cognizant of a pattern of burning which can prevent chimney fires....

i've seen how stove pipe thermometers work, but how does the stove "firebox" thermometer work.... does it just take the temp off the outside top plate?

murry said:
What stove thermometers do you suggest (brand)?

Do also put one on your stove and stove pipe?

I uses a Rutland...relatively inexpensive, probably not super accurate but it doesn't need to be. I put mine on the right front top of the stove (oddly is measures the same on the flue as it does on the right front). Just one is needed.

There are some cheap ones out there so be careful,

This is the one that I swear by,

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(1kjrvpj3ulmmavfoopveel45)/productdetails.aspx?sku=42578&source=GoogleBase

Seems to be a good price right now. I have seen this as high as 18 dollars elsewhere

I just bought a Rutland and took it out of the package and it does not work at all the dial spins freely!!!

hedgeburner said:
I just bought a Rutland and took it out of the package and it does not work at all the dial spins freely!!!

Well....like I said above....they don't need to be very accurate..... :sick:

what do you sugest for my heritage soap stone...double wall comming off the stove to a tripple wall stack...ZZZim

I just picked up a "new" style Rutland magnetic thermometer at "Menard's" to replace my old magnetic one, and its built quite well for $7.99, I had the similar "free spin" problem with my probe thermometer, so I disassembled that and "repegged" the dial after calibrating it.

I have both in use generally, as well as a remote probe oven style electronic thermometer attached to my stack with a S/S 10" hose clamp, for a audible warning that I can set based upon what Im looking for in Flue temp.

Attachments

• 00000012.JPG
    00000012.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 427
Status
Not open for further replies.