Stove Thermostat Discrepancy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Jones

Sep 13, 2008
New hampshire
I have 2 thermometers on my Englander 13NC..One is a probe type and the other is a surface thermometer. I do have DVL pipe on my stove and the probe thermometer is 18"above the stove, drilled into the stove pipe. The other thermometer is a surface thermometer made to go on single wall stove pipe about 18" above the stove. I do have this surface thermometer mounted on the front of the stove. I don't know which one to believe as the surface thermometer reads way into the Hot Zone of the stove while the flue gas thermometer is still about 150-200 degrees below the Hot Zone. I know the surface thermometer is located in the wrong place, but as i have double wall stove pipe I just stuck it on the front top of the stove....There is a large discrepancy between the two thermometers. I have a new stove and do not want to overfire it. Am I wasting my time with the surface thermometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.