Stove top apple cooker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suematteva

May 25, 2006
Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
Couple weeks ago picked up one of those porcelain cast iron apple cookers from LL Bean. Cored and peeled 2 apples and rolled in butter, little brown sugar, flour and cinammon and put on top of stove.

WOW! could smell the apple when it started but went outside and came back into house and the whole house smelled great..The apple was delicious especially with a little ice cream on it!

This is a great thing.

The one i got is for two and side by side. Just checked ll bean online and did not see it...they are available online and at hearth shops.

Hello Burntime,

Thank you. That is the one!

Checked the hearth section of the online catalog and could not find it..I purchased at the factory store in Concord...

I used a Jotul Castine for the first round experiment.

Mmm, that looks delicious, I'll have to try that. Any particular recipe or is it just kind of add to taste..

Jay

How long did you let yours cook? I tried using mine a few weeks ago. After an hour or so it looked/smelled cooked but found most of it hadn't cooked and softened up. I think I was using a granny smith.

I peeled the apples. which may make a difference...Rolled in melted butter, then rolled in the cinammon, brown sugar and flour and put em on the post..That recipe came with it..It also said to try using a liquor. Am thinking ginger brandy. It said to use just a tablespoon...would be careful not to do the Richard Prior thing.... Rolling in maple syrup is another option..My buddys Jotul temp on top was running 500 -550..It was on there about 30-35 minutes..I think the apples we used were northern spys.

Wahoowad,

I had seen the single ones before and one of the differences seems to be that the side walls seem to come up a bit higher on this one...maybe my imagination though as i do not have one to compare...Those Granny smiths can run pretty big and they are firm to begin with. The ones we used were about medium sized and the post was sticking through the top of the apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.