Stove top & chiminey temps ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THE WOOD MASTER

Aug 15, 2013
mankato Mn 56001
Anyone have some input??

As you can see in the pic the project is done and is working great, I got a Lopi-endevour, so far so good,easily heats my whole main floor. I have a question on stove top temps and flue temps, after getting a good burn going and if I turn the dampner all the way closed for a overnight burn so the fire will last and my chiminey temps drop way down,maybe to low, down to 250 0r less. If I keep the air open and a hotter fire the flue temps stay up around 400 too 600 depending on air adj. but then the wood burns a bit faster and inside house temps get up there ,75+(a good thing I think), Im just a bit concerned my flue temp being to low, my wood is all well seasoned (couple years),what is a save flue temp, also what temp should I expect to see on my stove top? My stove stove has two levels, the lower leval tempis much hotter then the upper level ? Just checked the chiminey yesterday after 2 months of burning and looks fine, a little creasote on inside chiminey wall but not bad. Also any idea's on ways to minimize ash dust when removing ash from stove. Thanks for any input !!

The Woodmaster

Welcome to the forum Woodmaster.

Remember that if your flue temperatures are too low that will certainly help if you want to make some creosote. The chimney needs heat to push the gases out. On single wall flue, we typically will run 350 and the stove top will usually be somewhere between 500-650. Occasionally we'll get right around 700 stove top but try to not exceed this. Better that the house stays warmer to keep the stove operating nicely and the heat really feels great in winter time. We typically keep our house warmer than that.

As for the recommended high temperature, your stove manual should have that information as it can be different on different stoves.

To minimize dust, handle with kid gloves. The little trick is to move very, very slowly. Do not overload the shovel so that you won't spill any. Very gently lower ash shovel into ash bucket and then.... the trick is to slide the shovel out from under the ashes. This is much different than sliding the ashes off the shovel. This little trick alone will save you a lot of dusting.

One other thing is to remove ash when there is still a good heat in the stove. This will tend to suck fine ash back into the stove and up the chimney rather than inside the home.

Once you get the hang of it, this really proves to be easy to empty ashes without flying dust. I learned this as a little boy. I was so proud to be helping but then found myself having to dust the entire house. I can assure you that I learned the proper method very quickly after that.

Welcome to the forum Woodmaster.

Remember that if your flue temperatures are too low that will certainly help if you want to make some creosote. The chimney needs heat to push the gases out. On single wall flue, we typically will run 350 and the stove top will usually be somewhere between 500-650. Occasionally we'll get right around 700 stove top but try to not exceed this. Better that the house stays warmer to keep the stove operating nicely and the heat really feels great in winter time. We typically keep our house warmer than that.

As for the recommended high temperature, your stove manual should have that information as it can be different on different stoves.

To minimize dust, handle with kid gloves. The little trick is to move very, very slowly. Do not overload the shovel so that you won't spill any. Very gently lower ash shovel into ash bucket and then.... the trick is to slide the shovel out from under the ashes. This is much different than sliding the ashes off the shovel. This little trick alone will save you a lot of dusting.

One other thing is to remove ash when there is still a good heat in the stove. This will tend to suck fine ash back into the stove and up the chimney rather than inside the home.

Once you get the hang of it, this really proves to be easy to empty ashes without flying dust. I learned this as a little boy. I was so proud to be helping but then found myself having to dust the entire house. I can assure you that I learned the proper method very quickly after that.

Ok great, thanks for the input.

With the endeavor when cruising, you will likely see stove temps 500 and 750. It seems to be the happiest between 600 and 700. Anything of 750 my air control is closed all the way if it not already and the blower turned on low. Make sure you reload on a small bed of coals(usually stove temp at 300) with them all raked to the front to reduce the risk of runaway fires

any idea's on ways to minimize ash dust when removing ash from stove.

Wait for the end of the burn and stove is barely warm.
Turn off blower
Turn off Ceiling Fans
Open stove primary air completely.
Separate coals from ash.
Shovel/slide ash as begreen stated,into a bucket held at the lip of the stove. slide shove into exisiting ash in bucket, then pull shovel slowly out, leaving ash in the bucket.

Wait for the end of the burn and stove is barely warm.
Turn off blower
Turn off Ceiling Fans
Open stove primary air completely.
Separate coals from ash.
Shovel/slide ash as begreen stated,into a bucket held at the lip of the stove. slide shove into exisiting ash in bucket, then pull shovel slowly out, leaving ash in the bucket.

ok,great, thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.