Stove Top Fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylskee

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2008
Central MA
Hello all,

Almost that time of year again, spent the weekend moving and stacking wood. Has anyone used those heat powered wood stove fans, are they worth the money? My wood stove sits in my living room and it can get pretty warm in there, I would like to blow some heat into the next room to heat it as well as keep the living room a little cooler. The one I'm looking at is $127.99 shipped, I don't mind spending the money if it works. Thanks in advance........

Attachments

• 4143y12T9KL__AA300_.jpg
    4143y12T9KL__AA300_.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 382
Best to do a google search on the Ecofan. Lots love'em. Lots cuss'em. BeGreen, one of the mods here, has had one for years and loves it. On the web there are a lot of complaints about how little air it moves and reliability issues.

I keep wanting to try a couple of them but have just never decided to part with the money.

Well, I read a lot of reviews on Amazon and most of the people like the fans so I might pull the trigger on one of these next week. The triple blade fan seems to be the favorite. Thanks for the reply!

BrotherBart said:
Best to do a google search on the Ecofan. Lots love'em. Lots cuss'em. BeGreen, one of the mods here, has had one for years and loves it. On the web there are a lot of complaints about how little air it moves and reliability issues.

I keep wanting to try a couple of them but have just never decided to part with the money.

I have the same one. I noticed a difference on the intrepid. I saw no difference on the Vigilant and no difference on the Hearthstone.

My brother has one and it said it works for him by moving air to a corner by a picture window. These fans do not have great velocity like an electric fan, but they move warm air away from the stove. His stove is partially set in his fireplace, so it helps pulls air from the top and back of the stove where it would otherwise sit there and sink into the brick. They are great indicators of stove top temps also. I think in a smaller room a difference would be noticed than a large room with high ceilings.

The price is about the going rate for them.

I'd like to get one for the novelty of it alone.. The technology goes back decades when they used a wick and flame to operate a cooling fan (ironic isn't it?) prior to electricity.. Hard to justify the expense based on that alone though so until I find one at a yard sale for a few bucks I'll never have one..

Ray

dylskee said:
I would like to blow some heat into the next room to heat it as well as keep the living room a little cooler.

I would suggest placing a fan on the floor in the next room or a hallway and blowing cold air into your living room before spending that kind of money. It sounds backwards but many of us have found this to work great.

rdust said:
dylskee said:
I would like to blow some heat into the next room to heat it as well as keep the living room a little cooler.

I would suggest placing a fan on the floor in the next room or a hallway and blowing cold air into your living room before spending that kind of money. It sounds backwards but many of us have found this to work great.

I actually tried that last year and it seemed to work a little but I have a strange layout in the house and the fan is in the way so I figured having one right on top of the stove might work better.

For a novelty they are great but most folks are sadly disappointed that they move very little air. Just look at the size of the fan blades and you should know by that they will not move much air.

On the blowing cool air into the stove room, don't use a pedestal fan but a small desktop fan set on low speed. It is amazing how much this will warm the cooler parts of the house but if you try with a pedestal, that won't work so well. The idea is to bring the lower air, which is the coolest into the warm room and that will replace the warmer air that is forced out. It works in most places. Also check your ceiling fan if you have one. It should be sucking air up rather than blowing it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.