Stove Top Kettle/Pot for Humidity?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2010
Southern NH
On my Advantage III we have a pot on top of the stove in which my wife puts apples and cinnamon sticks in it for the humidity and smell..which smells like she's cooking an apple pie 24/7. My question, is the humidity from this going to be a problem because I do not have an OAK and will this pull to much moisture into the stove causing a problem??

Northeaster2010 said:
On my Advantage III we have a pot on top of the stove in which my wife puts apples and cinnamon sticks in it for the humidity and smell..which smells like she's cooking an apple pie 24/7. My question, is the humidity from this going to be a problem because I do not have an OAK and will this pull to much moisture into the stove causing a problem??

The short answer is no problem.

You are lucky you can get the water warm enough to evaporate. I can put my hand on the top of my stove, (not just over the hopper) It is warm to the touch, but never hot. Tried to do it your way, but the water barely got warm.
Once the ground is covered with snow, I have to run a humidifier or the house gets just too dry. Not good for us or our furniture. Back when we had a wood stove, I used to keep a turkey roaster filled with water on the stove. That took care of the dryness!

Save$, yes we are lucky, it heats up the water very hot!! the back where the hopper is stays luke warm tho. Nice heat too.

Yeah i get the same problem. I use a Pyrex glass dish with some water in it. It never gets that warm but my hope is that the water will evaporate and be carried around a bit by the room blower. Does it help probably not as much as I'd like but better than nothing

A humidifier is a must with a stove IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.