Stove top temp...how hot is too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenng

Hearth Supporter
Nov 9, 2006
3rd season burning. Finally I have scrounged enough firewood. It is seasoned. Last year I struggled to get 350f. This year my stove is cruising at 550 to 650f with just a few splits. Last year I would pack it full and go to bed. This year I put a few splits in and still have heat and hot coals 10 hours later. I`m burning mostly white oak, beech. This will be the best year but I`m still learning. How hot is to hot? I want to load and go to bed without worry.

I have no idea what temp is too hot. I do know that Stove Nut would state that if it burned the chicken in his handy stove top oven then it was too hot.

I just want o know how is the draw with that 30+ foot stack in your signature?

BJ64 said:
I have no idea what temp is too hot. I do know that Stove Nut would state that if it burned the chicken in his handy stove top oven then it was too hot.

I just want o know how is the draw with that 30+ foot stack in your signature?

Draw is awesome, even when there is is no fire in the stove. It sucks in a very good way.

If it's glowing red, even dull red, in the dark, it's too hot. Roughly this is 900 and above. You'll smell it as well as feel it when near the stove. Generally, keep the stove below 750 and you should be fine.

I agree but it all depends upon the stove. Look at what the manufacturer recommends. During the cold of the winter we run ours from 550-600 with occasional gusts up to 650 or thereabouts. 700 is considered tops on our stove to be safe.

Dry wood definitely makes a huge difference! So does a 30 ft chimney! You may have to concern yourself that may draw a little too much with the dry wood so be sure to watch that when you start getting hotter fires as the season progresses. Good luck.

BeGreen said:
If it's glowing red, even dull red, in the dark, it's too hot. Roughly this is 900 and above. You'll smell it as well as feel it when near the stove. Generally, keep the stove below 750 and you should be fine.

where are you measuring those temps? stove top? flue? or the actual inside of the fire box?

Hanko said:
BeGreen said:

where are you measuring those temps? stove top? flue? or the actual inside of the fire box?

Stove top.

We burn a Jotul Firelight CB. I managed to get in touch with Jotul/technical in Maine (on another issue). I paraphrase: As a rule of thumb, you're OK to 600 degrees. Don't panic if you get a burn to a little higher, but damage will occur over time. Over 700 bad things will happen.

I forget the details, as this was a few years ago. I find that with normal loading, the stove tends to "top-out" around 600 degrees anyway. Of course, thermometer accuracy is important.

Dexter

BrotherBart said:
Hanko said:
BeGreen said:

Stove top.

that what I thought. the f500 seems to want to run around 400 under normal burning, I can gget it much hotter, but dont need to

trailblaze said:
had mine reaching 730's last night...

You are saying your stove top temp was 730???????? Isn't this kinda hot for a convection stove?

Do you think one can overfire these modern EPA stoves? When I was a kid I remember our stove turn red but have not seen anything even close to that on the newer ones. With the smaller firebox I would think you would have to burning scraps of pine 2 X 4's to get it that hot.

Yes, you definitely can overfire a modern EPA stove. Some are easier than others.

I can over fire either of my Jotuls with ease(dry hardwood wide open draft) By overfire I meen 700-850. The Castine will go higher than the Oslo a bit quicker though.

Status
Not open for further replies.