Stove top temp poll

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironworker

Burning Hunk
Dec 3, 2011
Upstate NY
Hey I know I don't post much here but my stove top has been cruising at about 600-750 and was wondering what most of you guys and gals run your stoves at. I know it is a topic that has been beat to death but I would like to get an overall consensus, I'm a little worried I might be running a little too hot.

600-700 at center top. I've checked it with my new infrared gun...

My 1402 peaks at about 600ish then cruises between 550 and 500 until the coaling stage. I'm burning cherry mixed with some oak here and there. Moister is less than 20 and I have about a 29' flue that draws hard. Lots of variables for such a general question. Your manual should give you a not to exceed range too for reference.... I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if it stayed at 750 for long periods I might get worried. Just my 2 cents.

after reload i take her up to around 650,then she settles in between 475 and 525 depend ing on what i fed her with.

My initial fire gets up towards 650, then usually settles down around 600. Coals bring it down around 450-500. VC Resolute 1979

Mine runs around 450 to 550. Once in a while it will get close to 600. I don't trust the gun temp because they all read higher than PID surface temp. I've tried several and the readings vary by 100degs or so.

Meaningless statistic. Can't accurately compare unless you can guarantee the same burn conditions and use the same pellet and pellet run. My Harman Accentra insert varies between 320 and 175 at the center of the heat exchanger plate above the flame deflector but I run mine in room temp. Keeps the room between 69 and 70 which is where we want it.

Cast Iron VC Encore 2040...almost never creeps over 600F stove top on the top loading griddle with the bypass closed.

The stove can reach monumental meltdown temperatures in 30-40 minutes if you forget to the close the bypass... I've learned once or twice (griddle thermometer peaked at max, magnet lost its magnetism, refractory took on a nice orange hue, but the stove pipe hadn't started glowing yet....

There is no 'correct temp' to run every stove at. Different stoves have different parameters/manufacturer specs. Everyones best bet is to read your stove manual and abide by the specs.

Reactions: mepellet
Status
Not open for further replies.