Stove Top Temp vs Flue Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timlynne

Dec 2, 2010
No Central Pa
What should the variance be? I got a new Quad 5700 late last season. Just started it up last week and have Condor Stove pipe gauge with probe and Condor Inferno Stove Top gauge. The pipe runs about 150-200 degrees hotter than the top. At start up this morning it was about 500 degrees hotter at the stove top was at 1200. I bought a 5700 for my camp about 5 years ago and it seems that the old style dampers work a lot better than this new acc system. The old system you saw immediate impact when opening a closing the damper this new ones takes longer to see the impact. Just seems to me I shouldn't have all that extra heat going up the chimney, but until yesterday I never used gauges with it so maybe what I am seeing is normal.

The internal pipe temps will be higher than the stove top temps and you may see spikes up around 1200 but it should come down below 1000 after the burn settles in. I see internal pipe temps of 400-700 depending on how hot I'm burning but my stove is much different than yours. Non cats burn a little hotter.

My probe runs between 400 to 700.

During the early stages of the burn (full load) my internal probe (same type as OP) will usually get up to 1000-1100*. It will shoot higher if I'm not careful about lowering the primary air at the right time. By the middle of the burn cycle, once the stove top is at ~ 550-600*, I'll have the probe settle in at ~ 800* (give or take 50* or so). Cheers!

My probe runs virtually exactly 1.5 times hotter than my stove top in the hottest possible location.

Condar's instructions say that it should read 50% higher than surface readings, but I haven't found that claim to be close at all. But, it is consistently 50% higher than the stove top. Maybe that is what they mean by surface readings? I don't know, but i doubt it.

At any rate, I like the probe because it "updates" much quicker than the stove top giving me a better picture of what is taking place at any instant.

However, I found that I had to move the probe up 27 inches above my stove top (in the 90 degree bend) for this to be the case. At 18 inches up, it was reading WAY high.

Here is what I went through last winter regarding this, even to the extreme of speaking w/ an official in the company and getting my probe sent back to be re-tested.

Read all about it: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51149/

pen

pen said:
My probe runs virtually exactly 1.5 times hotter than my stove top in the hottest possible location.

Condar's instructions say that it should read 50% higher than surface readings, but I haven't found that claim to be close at all. But, it is consistently 50% higher than the stove top. Maybe that is what they mean by surface readings? I don't know, but i doubt it.

At any rate, I like the probe because it "updates" much quicker than the stove top giving me a better picture of what is taking place at any instant.

However, I found that I had to move the probe up 27 inches above my stove top (in the 90 degree bend) for this to be the case. At 18 inches up, it was reading WAY high.

Here is what I went through last winter regarding this, even to the extreme of speaking w/ an official in the company and getting my probe sent back to be re-tested.

Read all about it: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51149/

pen
I read that thread and i put my probe 24 inches up and seems spot since i got it.

So what I'm reading is I should move my probe from 18" up to about 24"?

How much of a difference will this make? I can't see it making much of a difference? But what do I know, haha.

read the link to the thread I posted a few posts up. You'll see what difference it made for me.

If I were installing one, I'd personally only put it 18 inches up if it were on a double walled pipe. Otherwise, I'd go higher.

If you have single wall pipe, you can just buy an allen plug at lowes for 19 cents and plug the hole you don't like.

pen

pen said:

pen

I would consider the "surface reading" and the "stove top reading" to be the same thing. At what other surface would you be taking a reading? Pretty sure that's what Condar meant, so his figures of 50% higher at the flue probe match yours exactly.

surface of the stove pipe

pen

Early stages of the burn cycle my internal probe can get to 900* before I dial it down. By the midpoint of the burn cycle the stove top and flue are about equal temp for me.

I could only go up 17 " on the pipe because then I was into the elbow so that may show hotter temp too

I think the higher you go up your flue temp will be cooler. But that just means a good chance you will have no creosote.

Pen: after reading your post I have had an awesome night of burning. I never really looked at the back of my probe and considered that it was reading some of the surface temp as well. I moved my stove top Rutland next to my Condor probe and wow I've been burning cooler flue temps that I thought I was!

I am running about 325 surface temp and 850 on the probe now. I was running about 600 on the probe, which now I know was not hot enough.

Getting much better results out of the stove now.

This is why I love this site!

RnG17 said:
Pen: after reading your post I have had an awesome night of burning. I never really looked at the back of my probe and considered that it was reading some of the surface temp as well. I moved my stove top Rutland next to my Condor probe and wow I've been burning cooler flue temps that I thought I was!

I am running about 325 surface temp and 850 on the probe now. I was running about 600 on the probe, which now I know was not hot enough.

Getting much better results out of the stove now.

This is why I love this site!

I'm a teacher by profession and I can't leave my job at work. Thanks for making my day and telling me that some of the time I've spent on here has actually been useful!

Best of luck, keep testing, but most of all, please keep sharing your results so others can learn as well.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.