stove top temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
What is a good operating temp for a stove top. I just bought a new Rutland magnetic stove thermometer and its reading just under 400. I have the thermometer on the top plate as far back as I can of my Regency Insert and my blower is running on low. Is this good or should I get it a bit higher

You have a couple of things that make this difficult.

1. With an insert it's tough measuring an actual high temperature since it's unlikely to be able to set a thermometer on what is the hottest spot of the unit.
2. The rutlands I've used in the past could pretty sketchy. One read fine for a couple of years, the other 2 were essentially worthless out of the box. I prefer condar thermometers.
3. With the blower running, the air going over the thermometer is going to change the reading.

That said, it's best to consider a few things.

If burning right now w/ the thermometer about 400, and you see that your fires last a reasonable amount of time, if your glass stays pretty clear to some hazy white and not black, and a monthly inspection of the chimney / cap doesn't show anything surprising, and of course you have a reasonable amount of heat, then 400 is the number you want.

Even if the thermometer isn't reading the highest possible temp, it may be able to read consistently enough that you know if you are burning at 325, that too low, and 450 is too high, etc.

It's sort of like driving a manual transmission vehicle w/out a tachometer. Just going to take some experience to get used to what the normal is.

pen

Reactions: begreen
Status
Not open for further replies.