1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stove top thermo vs. IR results

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Johnpolk, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Johnpolk

Johnpolk New Member

I have a "Inferno" brand stove top thermometer that I assumed was accurate. Had some issues with the stove getting hotter than I would like, hit 800 on my wife the other night! Then after I gave her a hard time I had a few fires that seemed to get out of control also. I borrowed my father in laws infrared thermometer today and I was amazed at the difference. The stove top thermometer was 100 degrees high through the whole burn. Therefore the high temperatures I was experiencing were actually not that scary. Has anyone as seen such drastic differences? Does anyone know if infrared thermometers are accurate?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    I have noticed a difference up to 150 degrees between the IR and stove top thermos. I recently purchased a new Rutland stove top thermometer and it never gets above 380 degrees (and I can assure you the stove is much hotter than that).

I have since gone to IR only.
  3. Excavator

Excavator Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central NJ
    infrared is much more accurate on stove top and i use mine to check spots around the house
  4. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I have a Candor Magnetic Thermometer, and just tested it against an IR Gun...it's within a few degrees.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Similar experience with the Condar thermometer and an IR thermometer.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We have 2 Condar's and we also check them against the IR a couple times a year.
  7. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Any recomendations on IR thermo?
  8. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    IR thermometers are notoriously inaccurate, period! Even the expensive ones. I speak from experience using them in my job prior to retiring. IF you measure the same surface at the same place, you can get reasonably accurate CHANGES in temperature from reading to reading; HOWEVER, the actual temperature can be quite inaccurate because of variations in the reflective characteristics of the surface. A shiny surface will register a completely different temperature than a flat black surface of the same temperature. Some IR thermostats have a switch to go from one type of surface to another but they still are not accurate. If you are measuring bearing temps each month, you hit the same spot and see if the bearing is hotter or not. Same with your stove surface IF you want to see if one area is hotter than another. You're much better off with a contact pyrometer.