Stove Top Thermometers On An Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
A friend of mine gave me a new stove top thermometer as an early Christmas gift. My 2 questions to you are : 1. Are these things useful on a cat insert? (Buck 80) I can't seem to get the stove top thermometer, actually placed on the right front of the insert, to read anywhere close to the 'Best Zone', while my cat probe is reading in the 1400 range. Seems like if the cat is working anywhere between 1000 and 1400 I ain't making creosote.
2. If they are useless on a cat insert how about an insert with secondary burn tubes? If it is useful for this type of insert then the father in law is getting a new (well almost) stocking stuffer.

A friend of mine gave me a new stove top thermometer as an early Christmas gift. My 2 questions to you are : 1. Are these things useful on a cat insert? (Buck 80) I can't seem to get the stove top thermometer, actually placed on the right front of the insert, to read anywhere close to the 'Best Zone', while my cat probe is reading in the 1400 range. Seems like if the cat is working anywhere between 1000 and 1400 I ain't making creosote.
2. If they are useless on a cat insert how about an insert with secondary burn tubes? If it is useful for this type of insert then the father in law is getting a new (well almost) stocking stuffer.

Hey Ralphie Boy. I am using a stack thermometer in the vent of my insert (has burn tubes). Gives me a reading on the stove top that's not that easy to get even w/ an IR due to the angle. I look at it all the time. It's pushed back about 3" from the front so I get a true reading. Even though I can't read the #'s I can see the needle/pointer and know where I'm at. Find it very useful. PS putting on the door or front was useless, in my case any ways.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
The cat thermometer is your guide, but you can try the magnetic thermometer on the front face to the left of the bypass handle and cat thermo. Ignore the "zones" and just watch the temp.

Since you have an air vent on the top of that stove your stove top temps will not be accurate.

Can you fit it in the same place as woody stover did on his 91?

006-11.jpg

For wha
Since you have an air vent on the top of that stove your stove top temps will not be accurate.

Can you fit it in the same place as woody stover did on his 91?

006-11.jpg

For what ever the reason, no picture... I'm thinking it may be a better tool for mmy father-in-law's no-cat insert. What do you think??

Status
Not open for further replies.