1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stove top vs flue thermometer

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Mike, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike

Mike New Member

Loc:
    Toronto
    I did a search but didn;t find anything on this. What kind of differences do you find between a stove top and flue mount thermometer. I will be using a stove top unit on my insert and am trying to get a handle on what temps are safe.

Of course....if it's glowing, well I guess that just means it's really warm ......right? :roll:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Depends on what make and model of stove you have for the stove top temp. I would think internal flue temps would be close.
  3. Mike

Mike New Member

Loc:
    Toronto
    Thanks Roo. So by internal flue temps......do you mean on a probe thermometer?

I am installing a Hampton insert PDQ. It sticks out... plan to put a stove top thermometer on it. Maybe a pot of coffee or hot toddies too. ;-)
  4. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Yep , probe thermometer. your going to get a bit different reading per different gages single wall and then there is double wall pipes.

Stove tops are going to be different per soapstove / cast / steel ( thick - thin ) Big stoves , little stoves ect...ect...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.