stove vacuum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

feelinghothothot

Aug 23, 2020
Manchester1980
Hello
I'm looking to buy a stove vac....would this do the trick? ones on amazon seem flakey

• Also whats good homemade kindling to use?
Thanks
i bought a bignut stove

There are vacuums that can handle some hot embers, sometimes they are 2 parts with a water trap in between. This vac does not look to be great for hot ash. I'm not sure what is sold in the UK. If that is what you are looking for, contact some local sweeps, and ask what they use.

If you only want to use it for cleanup on a stone-cold stove with most all of the ash scooped out, then look for a vac that you can add a drywall dust filter to. Wood ash is fine and can pass through or clog the ordinary shop vac filter.

If you do a search on "vacuum" in this forum you will find many threads on this topic.

Power smith works well for me. Extra long hose optional but is very helpful. I find it can pick up an isolated glowing ember but you can’t get lax with this bc it ends up burning/damage the filter.