Stove vibration is gone... hopefully!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
The blower fan in my St. Croix has been causing a vibration since last heating season.... just on the higher speeds. I can turn down the speed this time of year and stay warm... but it's nice to have the extra fan spped during the colder months. So tonite I went in with both guns to fix it...

I pulled both covers off the rear of the stove... the twin fans are held on with four sheet metal screws. Since my stove is fairly close to the wall I had a tuff time getting my lardass squeezed in there... laid on a pillow and an old foam mattress pad. Got the fans/motor assy. off... really didn't look dirty but I took it to my shop and fired up the compressed air blow gun...holy moly! I couldn't believe how much crud and dust came off of that fan assy..... got a big chunk of STUFF out of one fan... that was probably the vibration I had.

While the panels were off I scuffed the unpainted inside of both panels and primed/painted them... really hate to see all the light rust all over the stove innards (next summer I'll go in and paint some of the other parts).

Reassembled the fan/motor assy. and bolted it in, fired it up and had a horrible squeal coming from the motor...crap. Pulled it apart, ran a little oil onto the motor shaft, put it back together and now it's perfect.... nice and quiet.

Here's the motor/fan assembly...
100_0608.jpg

100_0609.jpg

Here's the rusty panels...
100_0610.jpg

After a little scuff job we get some primer on the panels...

100_0611.jpg

After the color is on...
100_0612.jpg

Here's the fan assy. after some fresh paint and some caulking to keep parts from rattling...

100_0616-1.jpg

I'll finish the reassembly tomorrow morning... so far it's quiet as a mouse.

Kroozer,

Nice to see someone do a job right ( scraping, priming, and painting parts) and not just ripping a part out and slapping it back in.

Ranger

the old ranger said:
Kroozer,

Nice to see someone do a job right ( scraping, priming, and painting parts) and not just ripping a part out and slapping it back in.

Ranger

It's funny how we all have our own way of doing stuff... I've gotten a lot of static over my "hillbilly hearth pad" made from concrete blocks and tiles laid on the carpet (over a concrete floor). OK... it's not fancy but I'm comfortable with it. Next summer we may re-do the porch where the stove is located and we'll probably re-do it.

But I've done a lot of resto work on old cars and I always clean and repaint parts that I remove and replace...stuff like brake calipers, backing plates, springs, suspension parts, etc. I also slather (is that really a word?) everything in anti-seize even if I don't think I'll ever see the car again. It makes the next guys job easier. I even do this on my daily drivers...

The bottom line is I have an old stove (2001 build) and you have to maintain the mechanical parts to keep it going. I still don't slave over the stove when it's running... I clean it weekly... maybe clean the glass a little more often.

I can say that the fan seems much more efficient. Overnite temps were in the low 30's and the house was a few degrees warmer than I would have expected. It seems there's more airflow than before helping to circulate the heat...

Good job krooser, as a mechanic myelf antiseize and a wire wheel are my best friends at the shop,maybe I will never see that car again but who knows,I like to think every car I work on is my grandmothers.Maybe thats why I like to tinker with my stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.