Stove will not shut off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe9035

Oct 20, 2010
North Shore, MA
I have a Hampton H15 gas direct vent stove. It has been working for several years on a thermostat. The first time this year, everything worked, piolt, gas, flame..ect, except it wouldn't shut off. I disconnected the themostat completely the stove was still on. Only disconnecting the thermopile shuts it of. As soon as I connect the themopile to contacts on the stove valve, I hear the click and the gas valve opens and there is a flame without the thermostat connected. The gas valve is a 910-478 S.I.T on natural gas. Does the whole gas valve assembly need to be replaced? I didn't think the thermopile could directly open the gas valve, I thought it would generate a millivolt level power for the thermostat control. I guess I don't know how a gas valve works?

Remove the thermostat wiring from the TH & TH/TP terminals on the terminal block.
If that solves your problem, then you have a short on those wires...
If that doesn't work, tell us.

Bob, the themostat is completely disconnected on both ends. I rang out the wires for fun, there was no short. The 110VAC is unplug for the fan too. The only thing going to the stove now is the gas supply. The only things that seems to effect off and on is connecting the red and white wire from the themopile to terminals TH/TP and TP. With the pilot on the themopile reads about 425 mV. When the flame comes up, the reading drops to about 180 mV.

Thanks,
Joe

It has to be in the switch on the unit.
Is it in the "ON" position?
Have you tried disconnecting that?
Top right rear of the stove...

Status
Not open for further replies.