1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stove wistles slightly while running

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by wg_bent, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    My Osburn insert exhibits a slight wistle as it's running. (not the blower) Can't seem to locate the source. Is it possible that I've got a leak in the connection between the pipe and the stove? I believe I've sealed it with refractory cement. What do you all do to ensure a good seal between stove and pipe?

Seems like a tremendous amount of heat there, so I'm not even confident in silicone. I don't have room for an thermometer there. What is the stack temp just at the output of a stove that's really cooking?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Willhound

Willhound Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Warren
    Is it sucking air from around the door, or do you notice the whistling more at a particular draft setting? I had an old Fisher years ago that would make a whisling sound at a particular draft setting as the stove sucked air in.

Willhound
  3. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I'll have to recheck the door, but I did tighten it and did the dollar bill test. Doesn't seem to change at all when I push on the door. I'll have to check again.
  4. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Me TO,
    My stove whistles between the lowest and medium draft settings. Seems like it comes from the air intake.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.