Stove wistles slightly while running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
My Osburn insert exhibits a slight wistle as it's running. (not the blower) Can't seem to locate the source. Is it possible that I've got a leak in the connection between the pipe and the stove? I believe I've sealed it with refractory cement. What do you all do to ensure a good seal between stove and pipe?

Seems like a tremendous amount of heat there, so I'm not even confident in silicone. I don't have room for an thermometer there. What is the stack temp just at the output of a stove that's really cooking?

I'll have to recheck the door, but I did tighten it and did the dollar bill test. Doesn't seem to change at all when I push on the door. I'll have to check again.

Me TO,
My stove whistles between the lowest and medium draft settings. Seems like it comes from the air intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.