Stove wouldn't lite.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shtrdave

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2012
SW PA
I came home tonight and tuned my stove on and it would not lite, the ignitor light was on but the stove would not lite the pellets were warm when I scooped some of them out. I tried to lite it a few different way and finally ended up with a 2x2 gauze pad I soaked with vegetable oil and then pushed under the pellets and and lit with my propane torch, it took a while to get it all burning but the stove is going well now.

It failed to lite right away a week or so ago I turned the stove off and then back on and it started, that was probably our coldest day, so I thought with the outside air coming in it took the ignitor longer to get hot enough to lite.

Going to call my dealer tomorrow, but thought I would inquire here tonight.

thank you

When was the last time you cleaned the igniter area?

I know it's stupid, but the stove is in Auto? Correct?

A 1 yr old stove, shouldn't have a bad igniter, but stranger things have happened.

You probably could've skipped the gauze and oil, and just used the torch, although I imagine you tried that first. You should have a bottle of starter gel or hand sanitizer on hand for situations like you just dealt with.

I cleaned it when I cleaned the stove on Dec 29, took the plate off and bumped the top of the burnpot like the dealer told me to do. and then stuck the vacuum up there to try to suck out any extra ash.

Yes the torch didn't work very well it went out and i remember reading about the gel and I came up with my solution, was looking for Vaseline instead of wesson oil but apparently I don't have any.

Dollar store hand sanitizer for emergencies. Squirt it on a couple handfuls of pellets, let it soak in, lite.

Torch usually works fine for me. That said, the newer ignitors don't usually fail that often. Did you scrape everything out of the burn pot before you turned it on? If not, that could be the problem. If you did, try putting a handfull of pellets in the burnpot before you turn it on.

I borrowed a customer inspection camera, came home took off the plate under the burnpot and took a look in there, the fins on the ignitor were clear and clean, I did find a bucnd of ash and dirt on the back side in front of the hole where the air comes from. I cleaned all that out and bumped the pot a few times and put it all back together and it fired up with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.