Stovecombusters.com catalytic elements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hookspacken

Nov 8, 2006
Troy, NY
I was just looking at their web site thinking I may need a new convertor. I cleaned my cat with a vaccum cleaner and a pipe cleaner, hoping that the pipe cleaner didnt damage to material on the convertor . Anyone cleaned with a pipe cleaner and had success? I went through every passage with it.

These are supposed to be superior to the OEM and honeycomb style, correct? how would one clean a cat like this one?

Anyway, what would the preferred method of cleaning the other, non honeycombed style of element be? I beleive Elk is runnung the stovecombustors.com element, isnt he?

I was told by Woodstock only to use pipe cleaners if the combuster is really plugged up. If it is just loose fly ash just vacuum it out or lightly brush the loose stuff out. Don't worry about getting it perfectly clean, when you have a good hot fire alot of the ash will burn off. You don't want to risk removing the washed on catalytic metals with high pressure air or pipe cleaners. They also told me the vinegar/water boil can do more harm than good and don't recommend it.

Don't know about the other style, maybe you can clean it with one of those low pressure air cans you use on computer key boards?

All I did with the stovecombustor.com unit was pull it out weekly and blow it with air from my lungs. There was never a heavy enough accumulation of fly-ash that I couldn't remove it that way. I did take the compressor to it lightly at the end of year, but otherwise there wasn't much to it. See what elk says, but I never really saw the need to full out clean it, if weekly cleaning was done. Of course I never gunked it up; well I take that back. It was gunked up by engaging a "wee" bit too early a few times, but once it lit off all of the deposits were burned off.

hookspacken said:
I was just looking at their web site thinking I may need a new convertor. I cleaned my cat with a vaccum cleaner and a pipe cleaner, hoping that the pipe cleaner didnt damage to material on the convertor . Anyone cleaned with a pipe cleaner and had success? I went through every passage with it.

These are supposed to be superior to the OEM and honeycomb style, correct? how would one clean a cat like this one?

Anyway, what would the preferred method of cleaning the other, non honeycombed style of element be? I beleive Elk is runnung the stovecombustors.com element, isnt he?

Take a picture if you combustor to determine if we think it is damaged If not the order stove combustor, combustor tommorrow before the increase prices after SEpt 15

Would not hurt th have a spare on hand I just blow i and vac their combustors out or use a soft paint brush

by the way elk, my new combustor did show up the other day from stove combustors.com so i'm all set.
it took a few days for them to confirm the order but it did ship and then only took a couple days to reach me.
great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.