Stovepipe 6" Single-Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stolfa

Nov 12, 2010
Moab, UT
After ordering a length of single-wall 6" stovepipe I learned that it's not all the same. Some is fluted or corrugated on the male end; some is not. Some has a male end that is 1.75" long. Some has a female end that is 1.25" long. I have an 18' length from stove to vaulted ceiling. I don't want to replace the whole pipe; just a section (preferably a telescoping piece). My existing pipe has a 1.75" corrugated male end. I can't seem to find any online specs about the mating ends. What do I need?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. You may be better off going with one brand of pipe for the whole connector. That way pieces will fit properly. Duravent makes adjustable sections but they are 44-68" and a shorty 6-13". Selkirk also makes telescoping stove pipe, but with a different shorter crimped end and a belled receiving female end. Drolet also makes a very nice telescoping pipe, but again with their own termination differences.
https://www.drolet.ca/en/accessories-and-venting-products/venting/telescoping-stove-pipe/

If it's old enough that you forgot what brand it is then it's probably time to replace it anyway. That stuff doesn't last long.

If it's old enough that you forgot what brand it is then it's probably time to replace it anyway. That stuff doesn't last long.
It can easily last 10 years or more

It could last forever if you never use it or three years as some report.
The only time I have ever replaces pipe in 3 years is either in wet basements or with coal stoves. Just about everything else will easily go allot longer than that. Hell the cheap snap lock single wall I had on my cawley for 8 years burning 24/7 through the winters is still fine.

The only time I have ever replaces pipe in 3 years is either in wet basements or with coal stoves. Just about everything else will easily go allot longer than that. Hell the cheap snap lock single wall I had on my cawley for 8 years burning 24/7 through the winters is still fine.

Yep, 3-10 seems to be the range.

Yep, 3-10 seems to be the range.
Ok but from what I have seen 3 years is extremely rare. And 10 is pretty common. Unless like I said you have allot of moisture or are burning coal. If you have both those things you will be replacing it every year. We have one guy with a coal furnace and wet basement that goes through ss connectors in 2 to 3 years and liners in 7 to 8.

Reactions: Highbeam
I removed 22 yr old single wall when we renovated the house and moved the stove. It had some minor surface rusting but overall was still in decent shape. I don't know who made the pipe, it was not the lightweight hardware store variety.

Reactions: bholler
I love the heavy wall stuff, ashful used that to connect his BK's last year, I used the cheapo stuff from tractor supply, and I will be replacing mine sooner than later, plus I techinically need DVL per my stove instructions. I was living on the wild side I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.