Stovepipe and block off Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
After one year of burning I'm looking to upgrade my adjustable elbow off my free standing wood stove to a custom fixed T. I'm also looking to put in a block off plate. I have a very funky fireplace and smoke chamber setup. I drew it up in CAD and put in where I thought would be the best location for a block off plate. I also drew up what I thought would be the best custom T configuration. I'm certain that I want a T for clean out purposes. However the only T that will fit is a modified one. Instead of having a normal T that runs vertical this piece will need to be pitched back to match the pitch of the firebrick.

My questions to you guys are:

1) What do you think of the block off location? Should I move it further up?

2) What do you think of the custom T? Will this work for clean out purposes? Will it hinder performance of the stove at all? Is it a safety hazard at all? Do you see any better solution? Rockford Chimney Supply said they could build anything. I haven't gotten a price quote from them yet but I would like to pay for something that will fit and work well.

Thanks and happy burning.

Wood Stove Layout.jpg

Attachments

• Wood Stove Layout1 (1)-5.pdf
    5.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Wood Stove Layout1 (1)-5-2.pdf
    5.3 KB · Views: 102
Instead of a custom tee, do you have room for one of each of these?

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/226629/products/Standard-to-Flex-Elbow.html?d_id=50405

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/225940/products/Two-Piece-Flex-Tee-Type-316L.html?d_id=50405

Seems like it'll give you what you need, IF you can get them in there...

That's what I tried to do before but the clearance didn't work. When I connect a standard T to the stove the top of the T is 2 inches below the lintel. I can't connect anything to the T because it runs into the lintel. In brief conversation with rockford chimney supply it sounded like a custom piece wouldn't be that much more expensive. We will see when I submit my drawing to them. Other then the cost of going custom are there any other drawbacks to this piece? In my opinion I would rather pay a little more for something that I know is going to work and fit well then buy parts and see if there are going to fit.

No it should work fine we commomly combine fitting to do things like that ourselves but if you dont have the tools or ability to do it go you will have to pay to have it made

Status
Not open for further replies.