1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stovepipe connection

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by dsquared, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsquared

dsquared New Member

This is a great site. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I've searched all over the net and can't find this one. I'm connecting an Englander woodstove with a 6" collar to a chimney with an 8" (inside diameter) clay thimble. I noticed that NFPA 211 requires the stovepipe to be inserted to the flue liner. I was going to use 6" stovepipe increased to 8" near the chimney, but 8" stovepipe is too big around to insert. I considered buying one of the 8" telescoping stovepipe sections and using the smaller diameter piece to slide into the thimble. Any suggestions?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dsquared

dsquared New Member

Here I'm replying to my question... I just remeasured the clay thimble. It is a little less than 8" inside diameter in some areas, it's not perfectly round, so an 8" outside diameter piece of stove pipe won't work. I haven't seen "connector pipes" listed for sale at any of the online sales sites.
  3. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

You Miss understood the directions. Use the 6" all the way but when you make the connection it has to be inserted to the inside of the clay flue. Not 2" short or 2 inches past. flush with the inside of the clay liner. A 6 " metal flue is fine with 8" clay liner
    good luck Keep us posted how it works as we have not heard from many who bought Englanders
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.