Stovepipe connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsquared

Dec 3, 2005
This is a great site. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I've searched all over the net and can't find this one. I'm connecting an Englander woodstove with a 6" collar to a chimney with an 8" (inside diameter) clay thimble. I noticed that NFPA 211 requires the stovepipe to be inserted to the flue liner. I was going to use 6" stovepipe increased to 8" near the chimney, but 8" stovepipe is too big around to insert. I considered buying one of the 8" telescoping stovepipe sections and using the smaller diameter piece to slide into the thimble. Any suggestions?

Here I'm replying to my question... I just remeasured the clay thimble. It is a little less than 8" inside diameter in some areas, it's not perfectly round, so an 8" outside diameter piece of stove pipe won't work. I haven't seen "connector pipes" listed for sale at any of the online sales sites.

You Miss understood the directions. Use the 6" all the way but when you make the connection it has to be inserted to the inside of the clay flue. Not 2" short or 2 inches past. flush with the inside of the clay liner. A 6 " metal flue is fine with 8" clay liner
good luck Keep us posted how it works as we have not heard from many who bought Englanders

Status
Not open for further replies.