stovepipe installation - new stove in the basement below existing stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rainycity

Dec 15, 2007
British Columbia
So I just bought a A-frame cabin in the woods (awesome!!), and it came with a woodstove in the main room, and an extra Fisher stove sitting on the dirt underneath. There is about 10 feet of clearance below the cabin, which I intend to close in and install a sauna, with the upstairs little non-airtight stove moved downstairs and the better, hotter Fisher upstairs. The downstairs stove will be installed directly below the existing stove, which has a stovepipe running inside up to the ceiling. My question (finally!) is, is it possible to bring the pipe from the downstairs up through the floor and hook it up to the upstairs pipe, rather than running a separate pipe all the way to the ceiling? The A-frame is pretty high, and the cabin is remote - trying to avoid hauling (hiking) too much stuff in! Thanks to anyone who can answer this!

Since its sounds like they're both creosote producers, I'd certainly feel a little uneasy putting them both in the same flue. Double the creosote in one stack?

No thanks.

As mentioned, they need separate flues.
If you hook them together, you could have the downstairs stove burning and its smoke could vent out through the top stove into your living space.
Carbon monoxide poisoning would kill you and anyone else inside.

2 non-airtight stoves don't make a good solution. Don't try sharing the flues. I'd get one decent stove, EPA approved stove for the main interior.

How is the sauna going to be heated? Is the intent to use the second stove? That may be risky. Sauna stoves are specially designed for safety in close quarters. They are usually small, jacketed and radiate heat at the top where a deep recess holds stones.

Hey thanks everyone - the more I think about it, the more I think maybe I just need an extra bedroom in the basement;) Either that or a specific sauna heater....I'm not giving up the dream of the remote sauna just yet! I think I'll be moving the Fisher upstairs and find a nice place in the woods for the one that is upstairs now...maybe a squirrel could use a new home. Thanks again for all the advice!

ps BeGreen - you have no idea how much I'd love to get just one decent stove in there (the one I have isn't quite up to the job), but everything I get for the cabin has to be hiked in almost a kilometer! A decent EPA-approved stove...the stuff of pipe-dreams for me:)

Status
Not open for further replies.