Stovepipe shield installation question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mushman

Mar 8, 2008
Long Island NY
I bought 2 of these stovepipe shields on Saturday evening and recieved them 3 days later!!.This place was a great I never used them before, but I'd definetly give em a shot again.

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/Ocp54120.htm

Here's my question.Do I bring the shield all the way up against the ceiling protector and down to the stove top?, or do I leave a gap between the ceiling and the shield and the stove top and the shield?.
I remember seeing somewhere that when installing a wall heat shield you leave a gap at the bottom for air to circulate up.
Is this also the case with pipe shields.
Thanks.

You can overlap the shields if you want, but you absolutely, positively must leave a 1" gap top & bottom...that's a big part of what makes 'em work. Rick

I ordered some double wall stove pipe from them Thursday and got them on Monday. Very fast. Other places could not get the pipe for several weeks due to demand. Their prices where lower also, so I saves some $.

As far as the homesaver pipe shield they had the best price.I did see the adjustable shield that another member posted for 13.99 plus s/h, but it was to late, I had put my order in and I like the look of these.

What happens if the center screw holes line up with the seam in the single wall pipe?.Is it o.k. to drill holes in the seams?.
Wouldn't that comprimise it?.

Shouldn't be a problem, but maybe you can just rotate either the pipe or the shield a smidgen to make it easier to drill your pilot hole & install the screw. Rick

Wow the ceramic spacers are a real pain in the arse.
Good thing the weather here is supposed to be warm the next few days cause I think I'll be busy with this till tomorrow at least.
Another question here.
Say someone made a hole in the stove pipe and it doesn't line up just the way you want it.
Is there any way to plug it?.I figure I'd put a screw in it, but I also have some Rutland stove cement laying around should I fill with the cement? or will it just fall out?.
I could also drill the hole a little larger in the heat shield to line it up better, but the spacers will look a little off.:(

Put a screw in it, or shift the shield, or twist the pipe around a tad...whatever. A screw with a touch of stove cement would seal it right up. A tiny hole in your stovepipe's just gonna suck air anyway, if your system draws the way it should, but I know you want it to look nice too. (You shoulda got the shield with the neat tabs on it...no spacers required. Next time, maybe.) Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.