Stovepipe to liner length.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty

Feeling the Heat
Jul 11, 2006
Pittsburgh
I just got a 20' 6" 519 flue liner and I am wondering how much stovepipe is required or desireable between the stove and the liner.

In my install I would be theoretically able to drop the liner (in this instance) directly into the collar but that seems like a bad idea.

So how long a piece of stove pipe should I shoot for?

You can use a short connecter of SS pipe to make the connection, but i dont see anything wrong with dropping the liner on the appliance, from a asthetic standpoint, that would not look the best, but thats how alot of inserts are installed.

Marty said:
I just got a 20' 6" 519 flue liner and I am wondering how much stovepipe is required or desireable between the stove and the liner.

In my install I would be theoretically able to drop the liner (in this instance) directly into the collar but that seems like a bad idea.

So how long a piece of stove pipe should I shoot for?

With that double sided fireplace of yours connecting the liner directly to the stove is a perfect way to go. Just like you do a fireplace insert. Less joints to leak and wreck the draft.

Eaiser is better... so this news makes me happy.

I am (after measuring and remeasuring and then measuring again) heading towards a Hearthstone Mansfield.
With only the top flue collar option the kit I have will be perfect.

It is a ForeverFlex 316Ti (not 519 as a had said) 20' flexable liner, cap, top plate and 4"(L) quick connector at the bottom.

I do have a 16" clay flue so I will need to fabricate a top plate extension to span it.

They are telling me here that high temp insulation (yellow) packed down and up around the liner possibly with vermiculite and morter layers added at the top will hold it in place. Does this sound correct?

Marty, you do know that the flue collar bolts are on the inside of the flue collar, so you better have enough clearance to get your arm in there almost mid forearm length. Good luck with the install, and look forward to seeing the photos.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Marty, you do know that the flue collar bolts are on the inside of the flue collar, so you better have enough clearance to get your arm in there almost mid forearm length. Good luck with the install, and look forward to seeing the photos.
Yes it will be tight luckly I can come in from behind it as well.
It will be possible if get the back 10" of the stove inside and then reattach the flue collar then move it the rest of the way back and hook up the liner.
If worse comes to worse I can cut out the other damper to make more install room.

The only down side to the Mansfield is it will be more recessed than the Isle Royale (about 2/3rd's instead of 1/3rd).
But I think the better heat distribution of soapstone and the fact that most of the house is through the back side of the install anyway will make up for that disadvantage.

I'll be sure to try and get some pics as I go.
First I have to start recruting a crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.