Stoves designed with Bituminous in mind?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of us who live in areas of the country (SW Colorado) where only bituminous coal is available, can you enlighten me as to what manufacturers make models designed to burn this coal?

After several days of research all over the web, I realize maintenance fiddling with bituminous is not exactly "light it and walk away" as it tends to be with anthracite. So far I've only found the manual VC Vigilant II 2310 and an one stove from Volgelzang that speak to the bituminous issue.

I'd really like to have a stoker in the 100K btu range which does bituminous.

Tom Bovee said:
For those of us who live in areas of the country (SW Colorado) where only bituminous coal is available, can you enlighten me as to what manufacturers make models designed to burn this coal?

After several days of research all over the web, I realize maintenance fiddling with bituminous is not exactly "light it and walk away" as it tends to be with anthracite. So far I've only found the manual VC Vigilant II 2310 and an one stove from Volgelzang that speak to the bituminous issue.

I'd really like to have a stoker in the 100K btu range which does bituminous.

You may want to post this to The Boiler Room forum also since you are looking for huge number of BTUs. This forum has mostly wood burners but you may get a broader spectrum if you post there also.

Welcome aboard!

Bituminous stokers.....hrmmmm. I have to admit that offhand, I can't think of a stoker that burns bituminous........

I could think of some modifications to an existing stoker that might make it work, but really, you should send a PM to our member Berlin. He's a bituminous burner and quite knowledgeable about burning that type of coal. My experience has been limited to only the "good" stuff :p

There used to be a couple places in Ohio that made these, but I really doubt they are still in production. The coal stokers I know of (EFM, Keystocker) are designed for hard coal, but it might pay to ask those companies if they know who might make stoves for softer coal.

A company called Hitzer also makes coal stoves - I think they claim soft coal - check them out. Oh, I just checked and they are claiming hard coal now.
(but some of their dealers claim soft coal also.)

In terms of freestanding stoves, the US Stove Wondercoal burns soft coal:
http://usstove.com/proddetail.php?prod=2827

Status
Not open for further replies.