Stoves designed with Bituminous in mind?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of us who live in areas of the country (SW Colorado) where only bituminous coal is available, can you enlighten me as to what manufacturers make models designed to burn this coal?

After several days of research all over the web, I realize maintenance fiddling with bituminous is not exactly “light it and walk away” as it tends to be with anthracite. So far I’ve only found the manual VC Vigilant II 2310 and an one stove from Volgelzang that speak to the bituminous issue.

I’d really like to have a stoker in the 100K btu range which does bituminous.

I know that you can burn bituminous, but not anthracite, in the EKO boiler line. I bet the Tarms and Econoburns can do it, too. Our sponsor, Cozy Heat ^^^^^^ sells at least one coal stoker, as well as the EKOs and other boilers.

Having tried to burn anthracite myself, I wouldn't agree with the "light it and walk away" characterization. Maybe I'm dense, but coal is a whole nother deal compared to dry wood, IME.

Status
Not open for further replies.