Stoves of the Past

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Several years ago a friend operated a molding mill and used all his waste. Softwoods became bedding for his horses and chickens, the hardwood sawdust was mixed with chips and burned in a gravity fed stove designed for the purpose. As I remember it was about three or four feet wide and two feet deep. Feed hopper went along the back and he filled it with a grain scoop. I didn't use pellets then, so I had no basis to compare. I heated my shop with a stove only slightly smaller, and did fine. He heated two or three times the volume, and kept it at about 60 all Winter.

The stove origin is unknown by me, but he distributed them, so they were not a real high ticket item, mostly to Church members for their 72 hour kits (It's a Morman thing). Basically a steel box with minimum controls, but it was not a smoky mess, a clean burner....

Anyone out there remember these stoves, or know of a real modern version. I am not talking about that Stove Works USA thing, I mean a real stove with proven data.

Status
Not open for further replies.