Q&A Stoves placed in alcoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm in the process of having a home built and I'm considering having a Vermont castings stove built into a brick alcove. Our builder is not very supportive and I want to make sure that this is done right. Most of the information that I have found regarding an alcove refer to a Durarock- type heat shield that is spaced 1" off of a combustible surface. If a brick alcove is built does the brick have to be spaced 1" of the wood studs? What are the ventilation requirements for a brick alcove? Are air gaps required a the top and bottom? Thanks for your help

Answer:

Here's the scoop on Alcove design: Unless a stove is tested and approved - then you are sort of on your own as to the design. For instance- most stoves require a minimum ceiling height..it's usually 4 feet above the stove. Your alcove design will be subject to the approval of the local building official since it's probably not addressed in the owners manual. So:
1. Call the tech guys at Vermont Castings and have them address your needs.
2. Usually- an 8 inch thick masonry wall is considered non-combustible- so the stove could be very close. I've just completed a project where I used steel studs- with cement board (wonderboard) facing and then one layer of face brick. Ventilated air spaces are important...usually- a non-combustible wall spaced one inch from the original wall will reduce clearances by 50% to 67%.

Status
Not open for further replies.