Stoves That Qualify for Energy Tax Credit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LocustBurner

Mar 30, 2015
Southside Virginia
Woodstock Soapstone Company certifies that the following wood stoves
QUALIFY FOR A $300 TAX CREDIT:

Ideal Steel Hybrid Woodstove- Model 210
Progress Hybrid Woodstove- Model 209
Fireview Woodstove - Model 205
Keystone Woodstove -Model 204
Palladian Woodstove -Model 202

These stoves have a thermal efficiency greater than 75% and satisfy the IRS requirements to be considered “qualified energy property” under Section 25C of the Internal Revenue Code.

They qualify for a tax credit for their purchase and installation costs under the energy tax credit package signed into law in December of 2015.

Homeowners who have taken advantage of previous energy tax credits may not be eligible for the current tax credit. There is a maximum “lifetime” energy tax credit cap of $500, retroactive to 2006.

http://www.woodstove.com/pages/guidepdfs/2015-2016_Tax_Credit.pdf

The method for testing efficiency has been specified once again as the Low Heat Value of wood (LHV)*.
Efficiency was calculated using the Lower Heat Value (LHV)* for the tax credit.
Using this method ALL of the Woodstock Soapstone Woodstoves exceed the minimum 75% efficiency requirement.

Woodstock Soapstone Model HHV* LHV*
  • 210 Ideal Steel Hybrid ...... 82.00% 88.00%
  • 209 Progress Hybrid ..........81.00% 88.00%
  • 205 Fireview .. ...........80.9% ..90.9%
  • 204 Keystone ...............75.8% .....85.1%
  • 202 Palladian ...............75.8% ...85.1%
    These results have been independently confirmed by Omni Test Laboratories Inc. 13327 NE Airport Way, Portland, OR. 97230 and by Intertek. *The Higher Heat Value method does not subtract the energy lost to vaporizing water from the wood during combustion. Because this lost energy is subtracted from the calculation in the Lower Heat Value method the net efficiency rating is higher.

So wait... the tax credit is back?? If i bought my Jotul F3CB this past summer, I would qualify, right? Their website claims 75% efficiency for the F3. How do i go about claiming this credit before i haul off and do my taxes? thanks!

EDIT: The F3CB qualifies per a statement on Jotul's website.

thanks. It says on line 22a to enter the amounts you paid for energy efficient building property and there's a little tip to include any labor, property allocable to the onsite prep, assembly, or original installation of the property. does this mean I should include the cost of the chimney liner/cap/tee etc? Will it make a difference? It doesn't have anything to do with your taxable income, does it?

You can't enter more than $300 on line 22a, so it won't make a difference. Haven't done the math yet, but I think (and I'm no expert) the only limiting factor here would be other tax credits you are receiving.

Has anyone heard from Pacific Energy about efficiency certifications under the new efficiency testing specifications? I've tried to contact the company but haven't heard anything back.

There's nothing Woodstock or other brand specific about this tax credit extension.

From Blaze King website:

On December 16, 2015, the long-awaited year-end tax deal that was negotiated between the House and Senate leadership was unveiled. Included in this section is the $300 credit for residential biomass stoves. The bill reauthorizes the tax credit retroactively to January 1, 2015 and extended through December 31, 2016.

The credit applies to purchases made in 2015 and 2016 in the United States. Consumers who made residential biomass heating purchases need to retain for their records a manufacturer’s certificate that demonstrates the unit qualifies for Sec. 25C and a receipt (proof of purchase).

http://www.blazeking.com/

There's nothing Woodstock or other brand specific about this tax credit extension.
No, but I believe you need the certification of efficiency for your specific stove.

Correct. There are many that meet this criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.