Stovetop thermometer is crap....any suggestions on an IR gun?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

Following a fellow Hearth.com member's advice, I placed my stove top thermometer in my oven to see if it is calibrated properly. I have a very precise digital thermometer in my oven and my oven has an accusensor for the temp readings.

I tried 200-300-400-500 degrees respectively. At 200, the reading was 50 degrees off. At 300, it was 75 degrees off, at 400, it was 100 degrees off. The readings are too high (IE when it's 400 it indicates 500).

Therefore it is safe to say that when it has been indicated 850 (the odd time), it is in fact roughly 700. FEWF!

Here's my question: I want to buy a decent IR gun (I guess this is a reason to go buy one...anything to justify a toy!). I live in Canada; any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Thanks for the head's up on the move of the topic: forgot to put it in the gear forum!

I will look at both suggestions for sure...decisions decisions...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.