Stovetop Thermometer Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like my infrared thermometer. My magnetic thermometers are terribly inaccurate. They are the imperial ones from lowes

Most stove thermometers are going to top out at around 700F. Condar makes decent ones.

I've seen a couple threads here where posters used paperclips or thumbtacks on their stove top thermometers as a "logger". As the needle moved, it would push the tack / clip and it would stay at the highest point the needle reached so they could check in the am. Not high tech, but it seems to work well. I tried with a sheet metal screw once, but it fell over and didn't work. Once I got to know my 1450 would always burn into the 650 - 700 range regardless of intake position, I stopped trying to figure it out :)

Just use a bit of aluminum foil. Roll it into about the size of a toothpick and place it beside the needle on your thermometer. It moves up with the thermometer and stays at the hottest temp reached. Easy, cheap, and it works!

I want a thermometer that will register the highest temperature on an overnight burn. So when I check in the morning, I can see how hot it got overnight.

Use a paper clip or a piece of tin foil that can be pushed by the needle. It will remain at the highest point it is pushed to by the needle. Here is how member ailanthus did it.

paperclip on thermometer.jpg

If you want higher tech, check this thread.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wireless-room-temp-sensor-with-alarm.120047/

Last edited:
Reactions: Czech_mate
Status
Not open for further replies.