Stovetop thermometer - where do I put it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all you seasoned burners.

I've just managed to get myself a couple of stove thermometers - one for the flue pipe, and one for the stove top.
This was no mean feat, as I live in the wilds of France, and had to source them in the UK (the US supplier of the thermometers that I really wanted wouldn't accept a credit card). Both gauges register temps in a range between 50 and 750 degrees.

Having got them, I've attached one to the flue using the spring that came with it, but where do I plonk the stove top one?

Initially, I put it in the middle of the lid of my Jotul F600. A short while after lighting, it went off the scale at 750, so I moved it towards the back of the stove top where it settled at around 400. The flue gauge registered about 300.

So, what I really need to know is, what exactly am I measuring, and where is the optimum place to site the thermometer to do it?

Thanks.

Chris

Jotul recommends placing it in one of the four top corners of the stove top. The average reading for good secondary burn should be between 400-600 at this location.

Attachments

• f600_thermo.jpg
    f600_thermo.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 318
Found a manual on line and it showed to put the stove top thermometer in any one of the 4 top corners. Here is a link, perhaps the manual will give you max temp range.

http://www.jotul.us/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 600 Firelight CB/Manual_F_600_USA_P06_100209.pdf

It would seem that thermometer placement is manufacturer specific--for example my VC Encore model specifies that a thermometer should be placed in the middle of the stoptop/griddle for accurate temp readings........

NP

Thanks for your replies - the sketch and the link were really useful. I suppose I should have dug out the manual...
Where I eventually located the thermometer just happened to tie in with one of the recommended placement positions!

Thanks, all

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.