Stow chow or Agway?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
chucksdad said:
my son started using Stovechow this week and the first or second bag had a 3/8" stainless steel bolt in it. It destroyed the auger. the biggest problem is our inability to contact Stovechow. Does Stovechow have a web site? Is there a telephone number we can use?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
chucksdad
That's too bad about the auger, I hate when this happens. :down:
Maybe Stove Chow was trying to compete with Cracker Jack, a surprise in every box. :bug:

I'm probabally gonna get flamed for this but I dood it antwayy
A totally unresponsive remark to a person wha has an obvious problem (busted auger caused by hardware in pellets) while it may be funny to some is not helpful for the person in trouble.

chucksdad said:
I'm probabally gonna get flamed for this but I dood it antwayy
A totally unresponsive remark to a person wha has an obvious problem (busted auger caused by hardware in pellets) while it may be funny to some is not helpful for the person in trouble.
You know what THEY say it happens. %-P

newf lover said:
Click on this link. It gives addresses and various brand names of pellets. Stove Chow is under Catamount Pellet Fuel. I think I would start where you got your pellets, but also send a certified letter to the manufacturer. Good luck.
http://www.woodandcoal.com/pelletfuelusa.htm

Not sure if thats still valid, I think Stove Chow is now marketed by Premier Pellet Corp. Which is a division of Energex(thats the rumor anyway). So if Catamount is a dead end try contacting Energex. I checked for an addy or phone number on the bag but nada!

Sure hope they can help with your issue!

Sorry, I just noticed that the copyright date is 2006. Isn't there any info on the bag? BTW, make sure he keeps the bag the foreign object came in. I still say wherever you bought the pellets from must have contact info....

FordMastertech said:
Got the Hammer's, Spruce Point's and Stove Chow in my stash, OINK OINK, and for the money the Stove Chow has been a great pellet. The MT Vernon AE isn't real fussy about pellets but the Hammer's seemed to go through it a little faster than the others because of their smaller size. When I start using them again I will set the stove up a little different. When it gets real cold again I want to try a hybrid mix of the 3 and see how it goes. Stopped at Home Depot yesterday and got 2 tons of the Chow using the 10% coupon. I like them a lot best big box pellet I have burned so far. I also tried the Freedom Fuel and Inferno's and they were just ok nothing special, good 40 degree and above pellets. I have a couple bags of each Cubex, Rocky MT, Vermont's and Okies to try on a cold weekend.

FordMaster, Like ImacMan's signature says, you should be ASHAIMED of yourself, you have purchased all of the pellets in your area. Nice looking stash.

:cheese:
KatWill said:
FordMastertech said:
Got the Hammer's, Spruce Point's and Stove Chow in my stash, OINK OINK, and for the money the Stove Chow has been a great pellet. The MT Vernon AE isn't real fussy about pellets but the Hammer's seemed to go through it a little faster than the others because of their smaller size. When I start using them again I will set the stove up a little different. When it gets real cold again I want to try a hybrid mix of the 3 and see how it goes. Stopped at Home Depot yesterday and got 2 tons of the Chow using the 10% coupon. I like them a lot best big box pellet I have burned so far. I also tried the Freedom Fuel and Inferno's and they were just ok nothing special, good 40 degree and above pellets. I have a couple bags of each Cubex, Rocky MT, Vermont's and Okies to try on a cold weekend.

FordMaster, Like ImacMan's signature says, you should be ASHAIMED of yourself, you have purchased all of the pellets in your area. Nice looking stash.
Yea I am ashamed, but a good dead is a good deal. :snake:
Tried a few bags of the Prestologs the other day and they were good too. May have to make another run with the truck and trailer and pick up 3 more tons.
Then I will smell like a pig after getting them stacked in the basement. :cheese:

Picked up 4 tons of Chow about 2 weeks ago. I've burned Chow, Ligs, Hardwood Heat, and Wood Pellet Co. this year so far. I'd rank them as follows:

1. Stove Chow - Burning really hot, very low fines, average ash.
2. Hardwood Heat- Also burned hot (not as hot as the chow), average fines, average ash.
3. Lignetics- Average on all categories
4. Wood Pellet Co. - Average fines, average ash, least heat.

Bottom line, the Chow is the best pellet of the 4 for me and it also happens to be the least expensive. You gotta love when that happens.

chucksdad said:
my son started using Stovechow this week and the first or second bag had a 3/8" stainless steel bolt in it. It destroyed the auger. the biggest problem is our inability to contact Stovechow. Does Stovechow have a web site? Is there a telephone number we can use?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
chucksdad

Horrible luck, but I suppose it could happen to anyone with any brand of pellet fuel. To prevent this from happening again, it's better to pour your pellets into a large storage bin and scoop them into the pellet burner hopper as needed. This way, the fines settle to the bottom of the container, and if you use a colander to scoop up the pellets from the storage bin (I use a large plastic garbage can for storing my pellets), you can see what's going into the hopper. It's not a fool-proof method, but it would make it easier to spot out foreign objects in your pellet bags.

Speaking of augers getting jammed, a coworker of mine had it worse. His auger decided to quit on him on a fairly frigid night, not knowing why the auger abruptly died, he called a local fireplace company to come out and service his pellet burner. They disassembled whatever they had to take apart to get to the auger, turns out a dead mouse had jammed it up. It had chewed its way into a bag of his pellets and apparently decided to use it for a grave.

Speaking of augers getting jammed, a coworker of mine had it worse. His auger decided to quit on him on a fairly frigid night, not knowing why the auger abruptly died, he called a local fireplace company to come out and service his pellet burner. They disassembled whatever they had to take apart to get to the auger, turns out a dead mouse had jammed it up. It had chewed its way into a bag of his pellets and apparently decided to use it for a grave.
One would have thought after seeing hole in the bag that something might be in there. :bug:

Yeah, I thought the same - he said several of his bags had small holes in them, but the pellets weren't damaged inside and he just went ahead and used them same as any other bag.

Never had mice issue's with pellet's, I would think thats the LAST thing they would try to eat, unless they were looking for that magically delicious bolt.
More like they love to eat plastic and chew the outside of the bag, that mouse became a PIG and ate to much, decided to take a nap inside the bag and got crushed when the bag's were moved?

Many thankx for all the positive responses. Will research Catamount, Premier Pellet, Energex, et al, and will let you all know the outcome.

Again, Thanx,

chucksdad

Pellet-King said:
Never had mice issue's with pellet's, I would think thats the LAST thing they would try to eat, unless they were looking for that magically delicious bolt.
More like they love to eat plastic and chew the outside of the bag, that mouse became a PIG and ate to much, decided to take a nap inside the bag and got crushed when the bag's were moved?

I'm betting the bags shifted or something after that mouse had chewed into the one bag, I've known a few others (who either store pellets outdoors or in their garages) who have had mice chew into their pellet stash. The most common problem is water exposure in the pellet bags on the bottom, ruining the pellets.

belam said:
Picked up 4 tons of Chow about 2 weeks ago. I've burned Chow, Ligs, Hardwood Heat, and Wood Pellet Co. this year so far. I'd rank them as follows:

1. Stove Chow - Burning really hot, very low fines, average ash.
2. Hardwood Heat- Also burned hot (not as hot as the chow), average fines, average ash.
3. Lignetics- Average on all categories
4. Wood Pellet Co. - Average fines, average ash, least heat.

Bottom line, the Chow is the best pellet of the 4 for me and it also happens to be the least expensive. You gotta love when that happens.

You got that right. I just picked up 1.5 tons of Chow after trying it out along with a few bags of Penningtons (high fines throughout the bag, average ash, average heat), Nations Choice (low fines, above average ash even though it says "ultral low ash" on the bag, average heat, and was the only pellets to make my allergies go crazy.) I also burned 1 ton of Country Boy (great all around except for price. approx $5.40 per bag and thats at the bulk rate of a pallet)

Status
Not open for further replies.