Strange but true.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparke

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2006
Maine
I am moving to Washington State. I am actually sad about losing wood heat. I will miss feeding the boiler. I will miss watching different colors of the gases as they burn in my wood stove insert. I will miss working with my father as we buck up fire wood for both of our houses. I will miss my warm cellar and warm floors. I will miss "wood days" with the kids". It is fun to hear them complain about doing wood. But they sure do like a nice warm house. Fire - it is primal and I will miss the amount of it I use here in Maine. I am sure I will find an excuse to get another wood stove even if I don't really need it! So - would you miss burning wood if you didn't need to anymore?

Unfortunately, I know the feeling. One of the saddest realities I've had to come to grips with was about 15 years ago when, for practical reasons, I realized that we were going to have to burn oil one winter instead of wood. I don't know what your living situation is going to be, sparke, but plenty of people heat with wood in the PNW.

Just made a swing through Washington state in my RV last Spring. Never saw so much wood in my life. The mills are impressive in size. Logging trucks all over the place. You just don't see any maple or beech on them. Mostly pine. The whole Mt. St. Helens area is Weyerhauser tree farms. I saw people bucking up what appeared to be hardwood and saw alot for sale but I don't know the variety.

The boiler is being sold with the house. It is a good selling feature. I have a brand new 90K BTU unit in my garage which I am going to sell at cost...

Status
Not open for further replies.