Strange chain issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaoneill

Feeling the Heat
On a recent wekend my son and son-in-law spent an afternoon dropping and blocking up a half dozen 16"-20" standing dead elms. The saws haven't been used since but were still cutting satisfactorily when they were finished. The other day I thought I would touch-up the chains in preparation for an afternoon in the woods this weekend.
I found that the chain on the 20" bar (Oregon chain with about half it's useful life remaining) had a number of cutters missing on one side (not contiguous). They were clean breaks, parallel with the chain itself. In all of the years I have cut wood (hundreds of cord) I don't remember ever having seen a break of this sort and I generally use a chain until there is absolutely zero life remaining. The only time I remember cutters breaking is from hitting some hidden metal in a log and then it would leave a jagged sort of protrusion and do at least moderate damage to nearby cutters. These were random cutters, but all on the same side; the remaining ones on that side, and all on the other side, were unscathed.
Rather strange......

Other than hitting something harder than the chain in one of the trees what are the chances of just a defective chain. I know it sounds crazy but freak things happen. Could just be that bad batch thing. That's the only thing I could think of other than a hidden piece of something in one of the trees cut down.

Other than hitting something harder than the chain in one of the trees what are the chances of just a defective chain. I know it sounds crazy but freak things happen. Could just be that bad batch thing. That's the only thing I could think of other than a hidden piece of something in one of the trees cut down.

My thoughts exactly but a freak thing for certain....

I agree strange . We have all hit metal in a tree while cutting and when it happens I stop cutting right away cause I know my chain is probably dulled and I'll need to touch it up anyways. Sounds like whoever was using the saw was unaware of hitting metal or whatnot ? Is something hitting the chain as it's spinning ? Like a bent sprocket cover ( if it's metal cover) and it wore the cutters down ? I suppose it would have to be a fairly bent sprocket cover for that to happen.

Ya strange . Hopefully just a bad chain.

I agree strange . We have all hit metal in a tree while cutting and when it happens I stop cutting right away cause I know my chain is probably dulled and I'll need to touch it up anyways. Sounds like whoever was using the saw was unaware of hitting metal or whatnot ? Is something hitting the chain as it's spinning ? Like a bent sprocket cover ( if it's metal cover) and it wore the cutters down ? I suppose it would have to be a fairly bent sprocket cover for that to happen.

Ya strange . Hopefully just a bad chain.

Yup, no other cutters affected at all. And, as I said above, it's not like the chain was on it's last legs, had at least half its useful life remaining.......

Oh well; just thought it was an interesting tidbit

Dead tress can be strange to cut. I had sparks coming off the chain. But I'm with others here, thinking you hit nails or a rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.