Strange? or am I just parnoid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Girl

Dec 18, 2007
Mass
Hey all. I have been using an old upland stove to heat the house I rent, I am on my 4th year doing so.
Get it cleaned & inspected once a year in September or October before I burn anything and it does a fine job keeping us all warm.
I don't know if I just have bad memory of "normal" sounds (like pipe expansion heat up sounds are normal expected sounds) or I am just getting paranoid in my old age & people telling me horror stories lately don't help.
Lately I have been getting a thump type sound of & on, from the pipe or stove, I cant figure which area it is coming from.
There is really no particular time this happens either.
I was thinking maybe down draft? No smoke coming into the house
The stove burns hot, not so hot that I have orange pipes & the sweeps commented that burning hot is fine & I should burn hot as well as my land lord saying this as well. The inspector sweep, stated I will want to replace the pipe going into the chimney in a couple years but plan to do so next year as he said it is still fine.
I have not been able to find any info regarding a thump type sound.
Just seems noisier than I recall from last season, anyone else experience this?
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks!

This can happen if you dampen down a fire too soon, build up a large amount of smoke in the firebox and it ignites all at once. Makes a Phhuuuumphhhh sound.

My $.02

Are you sure it is not the wood shifting and falling as it burns inside the stove? I know I hear a thump as the bottom burns and the load shifts.

Ah, some have lamented the old days - an Upland Stove (I owned the company for a while), burning for almost 30 years and probably never had to be rebuilt, etc.....

I suspect it is wood falling inside the stove. Make certain your latches on the double doors are good, and then you should have nothing to worry about. Yes, it could also be flashback (wood gas explosion), but I suspect that would have happened before....and those stoves are not known for this type of thing.

What model do you have?

Thanks folks!
Nope not the wood shifting, know that sound well, good thought though.
I can have just real nice layer of coals going & I get that weird slight thump.
I damper down very slowly, so I don't think thats it.
I thought maybe it was cold air coming down/ heat up making for the damper to jiggle? I have played around with the damper a bit & it still makes the sound.
I am baffled & honestly do not recall it making that sound.
Am I making too much out of this maybe?

Webmaster said:
Ah, some have lamented the old days - an Upland Stove (I owned the company for a while), burning for almost 30 years and probably never had to be rebuilt, etc.....

I suspect it is wood falling inside the stove. Make certain your latches on the double doors are good, and then you should have nothing to worry about. Yes, it could also be flashback (wood gas explosion), but I suspect that would have happened before....and those stoves are not known for this type of thing.

What model do you have?

Upland 107 side loader. The front doors are only opened for the annual cleaning. They are sticky & hard to get open, so I guess I am safe, lol.
They are cast iron double doors.
I am still pretty new to this but think I have been doing a good job as the stove is what I use to heat the whole house.
I have used wood stoves before I moved here & familiar with the workings, but I am always learning (obviously)
Thanks!

P.S.
I love my little stove.

Of course, you probably already figured out that stove burns from one end to the other, and then you rake the coals back before you reload (toward the air control).

I think we can rule out cold air coming down the chimney, since that would also make smoke come out of the stove!
Wood gas explosions also usually create a puff back, because of negative pressure.

I assume you have the stove manual and therefore have the baffles both together toward the left end of the stove.

I think you might be making too much of it - just keep an eye on it. Check the typical stuff, like making certain that the pipe fits tightly in the stove (too much air getting in such seams could cause small wood gas ignitions). Also, don't turn it down too far - better to burn it hotter with less wood - more complete burn.

I love the #107......

Webmaster said:
Of course, you probably already figured out that stove burns from one end to the other, and then you rake the coals back before you reload (toward the air control).

I think we can rule out cold air coming down the chimney, since that would also make smoke come out of the stove!
Wood gas explosions also usually create a puff back, because of negative pressure.

I assume you have the stove manual and therefore have the baffles both together toward the left end of the stove.

I think you might be making too much of it - just keep an eye on it. Check the typical stuff, like making certain that the pipe fits tightly in the stove (too much air getting in such seams could cause small wood gas ignitions). Also, don't turn it down too far - better to burn it hotter with less wood - more complete burn.

I love the #107......

No manual, but I just down loaded it from here, thank you!
Baffles toward the left end of the stove? I am lost, please explain? I feel dumb, but not asking is dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.