Strange Phenomenon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I filled four plastic 32 gallon garbage cans with water. What was weird is that there are small, round holes in two of them. They almost look like powder post beetle holes. I did store some wood in them for a while. That isn't possible, it it?

I make chili that can do that.

Reactions: Jags
I've had squirrels chew through plastic to get to the food inside.

Mice and rats love to chew through that plastic.

Mice made a nest in the 2x3 box tube tongue of my splitter last winter. They also chewed up the fuel cap and ATE a 1/2" diameter hole in the corner of the HDPE fuel tank. !!!

I have new, dark trash barrels filled with water in the greenhouse. They act as heatsinks.

I have new, dark trash barrels filled with water in the greenhouse. They act as heatsinks.

I was figuring it had to be for gardening (heat sinks or warmer water to not shock plants) or maybe he's prepping for hurricane season.

I have a couple 40 gal plastic food drums (used to have cooking oil in them) on side with a water inlet from the gutter at one end and a hose bib on the bottom. Takes the stress out of watering the plants during a drought times with a shallow dug well.

I was going to use them as a proxy for the 750 lb BioWin pellet boiler I needed to move from the garage to the walk-in basement. The plan to leapfrog a couple of 3/4" plywood sheets. I was going to I put them on a pallet, filled them, and then found out that the holes didn't line up on the pallet with my HF pallet jack. I was just in the process of modifying another pallet, when a landscape/ guy called me and said: "how about now for moving it?" So he brought it down and around back with his rubber-tracked Cat skid steer and set it on that pallet jack. Then he and his son helped me get it over the threshold and into the basement. Good value for $100, I think.

20140616_105513.jpg

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
For a skid steer that rents for $400 a day plus delivery here. Yeah, I would say that was a hell of a deal.

This took less than an hour. The value added of them helping move it through the threshold was great. His place is close to mine and they've done other stuff for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.