Strange sound coming from stove?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeangelini

Jan 31, 2009
Eastern PA
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I have an Avalon Rainer wood stove in my living room with the flu coming out the top. The stove is 4 years old. It is connected to double wall, indoor black pipe, and then the insulation shield, and after that, 6" double wall insulated pipe. The entire length of the stack is probably 20 feet.

Recently, we have been hearing an occasional loud noise coming from the stack or the stove wile it is burning. It is only a second long, and is almost like a vibration. Enough to scare the cats away from the heat. It has happened only 3 times in the last month. This is the first season we have heard this. I swept out the stack real good last week, thinking it was a small creosote fire, but I heard it again tonight.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Can this be dangerous? The stack only runs through a knee wall of the attic. It is a cape cod style house, and the stack runs through the ceiling, up 3 feet, and then out the roof. I know that the proper clearances are met. I dont remember the brand name of the stack.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike Angelini~

Status
Not open for further replies.