Strap-On (Water) Pipe Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwood

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2009
Western VA
Anyone recommend an economical strap-on pipe thermometer (for water pipe, not flue pipe) and a source for acquiring some. Thanks

Mike

This won't help you in VA, but I buy the dial meat thermometer that Menards sells for $3, attach it with some AL tape and cover it with a little insulation and it's good enough for me. Last one I bought, I see the new model isn't nearly as nice as the old ones but for $3 I won't complain too much. The temp range is pretty much what you want for a boiler.

Thanks Benjamin. I was hoping to find an economical strap on temperature gauge that looks like the probe type temp/pressure gauges that are commonly available.

Mike

Dogwood,
Some other people on this website recommended milk frothing thermometers. I bought a couple on ebay cheap. Nice size/large dials. I taped them onto the pipe and added some insulation over top and they seem to be giving pretty good numbers.

Thanks for the link Greg. these are exactly what I was looking for, and reasonabley priced as well. I wonder how their spring held thermometers compare to the magnetic ones for staying in place? Seems like a magnetic install would be as easy as it could get. I'll be ordering tomorrow. Thanks again.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.