Strategy to maximize heat/ reduce Creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotul_Rockland

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
Connecticut
All,

I'm very behind in my wood for 2012 winter. I have about 2 cords of seasoned wood ( Oak, Black Locust, Apple and Tulip). I need 3 more cords that I expect to split in the next 4 weeks. To Split

• Black Locust - 1 cord
  • Honey Locust - 1 cord
  • Sugar Maple/ Walnut - 1 cord
  • Ash .5 Cord
  • Oak 5 cords
Help me strategize what to split and plan to burn.

Current thinking ( Split everything except oak) and burn it from Jan - April

Order of priority (my thinking):

1. Ash
2. Black Locust

These will most likely be burnable this winter.

3. Sugar Maple
4. Honey Locust

These could be marginal by this winter...giving you 3.5 cord....which may be enough to get you thru the winter.

5. Oak

This may be burnable by 2014.

Reactions: PapaDave and Gark
Agree with lukem - definitely ash first and oak last. The locust and maple if you split them on the small side and let them get plenty of sun and wind could be ready.

Make sure you stack the wood up off the ground in the sunniest and windiest spot you have. Allow lots of space for air to move through the stacks. You're behind where you would ideally like to be, but you're not behind the average. Average is split in the fall or early winter and burn the same year. I am not saying average is OK, just pointing out that lots of people burn poorly seasoned wood and get by.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
As soon as I had that lot split and stacked, I'd be out looking now for the 2013/14 burn season. In an ideal world, you would not be wanting to burn oak next year that you have not yet split and stacked (like Wood Duck says, not many of us do live in an ideal world though). Once you are a year or two ahead, wood consumption will drop and it will get easier to stay ahead. I found that once I was ahead, and no longer desperate for wood, I was able to find free wood easier. One day I'll try to analyze why ;)

All,

I'm very behind in my wood for 2012 winter. I have about 2 cords of seasoned wood ( Oak, Black Locust, Apple and Tulip). I need 3 more cords that I expect to split in the next 4 weeks. To Split

• Black Locust - 1 cord
  • Honey Locust - 1 cord
  • Sugar Maple/ Walnut - 1 cord
  • Ash .5 Cord
  • Oak 5 cords
Help me strategize what to split and plan to burn.

Current thinking ( Split everything except oak) and burn it from Jan - April

Regardless how you go (and I agree; ash first), you will not be ideal nor will you maximize heat and reduce creosote. The way you will do that is to be a minimum of 2 years ahead on your wood piles. That is 2 years AFTER splitting and stacking.

Because you need wood this coming winter, stack it very loosely so you get maximum air circulation. Sun is great but wind is your best friend right now. Good luck.

Reactions: Realstone
Average is split in the fall or early winter and burn the same year.

Seriously? I cannot even imagine burning maple that soon. What would be the point? The worst I ever did, and it was out of necessity, (1st year burning), was split & stack during Christmas week, and burn the following October. Even that was marginal..........Right now I'm CCS at least 1/2 way thru '17.

How much space do you have? If you can stand them vertically on end and space them a few inches apart, and re-split them to no more than 3" wide at any given point, you might squeeze it in for this coming season. Especially if you are having the hot dry weather most of you are getting south of me. BTW, we got some of your heat today. 97 in the shade today, more on the way :ZZZ

S.O.P around here is c/s/s in a month or 2 from now, then burn this winter.
Except me.:cool:

That sounds about right. Lots around here do this. Except me, my Uncle, my buddies Father, and my kids football coach (I sell him wood ;)).

And everyone around me cuts Oak. Cause its the best. And it burns the longest. And blah, blah, blah.... They think wood can be to dry. They say it burns up to fast! (LOL ;)) Little do most know..

I agree with above statements on what to cut and when. The Oak should be left for at least another yr or two.

Just keep a watchful eye on your stack and get as far ahead as you can. Every yr gets better...

I agree with ash and locust first and I think that your walnut should be okay. None will be perfect but should do okay. Keep an eye on that chimney.

Reactions: DexterDay
Some great advice & plans above.
But; " you burn what you got ! "
I learned the 2 years or more, CSS rule works best for my wood here, a noticeable improvement over 1 years seasoned wood for me.
Many say 1 year, but I'm with BackwoodS & PapaDave & others here, 2 years for seasoning. ( I hear 3+ for Oak, but not one of my choices here)

Get it all CSS ASAP & of the stuff CSS now, use the ash first. Then test burn the other wood if needed & use the best burning wood of the bunch.

Get the Oak CSS. It's for 14/15. (Your 14/15 wood is almost all in with the 5 cords of oak you have, so your are more ahead than you thought) ;)

You are doing a good job, keep getting ahead.
Not that you can't burn less seasoned wood. Like said watch the chimney & keep getting more years ahead as you can. It will pay dividends :)

Ash and oak first . . . stack in the sun and wind . . . in this case I would top cover . . . split smaller . . . stack looser . . . start working on next year's wood now . . . and see if you can find some pallets to cut up to help you bring the temps up in the stove on start ups . . . and watch the chimney once you start burning.

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.